Monday, January 26, 2009

I have decided to adopt

...a girl...
...a wonderful, gorgeous, lovely, loving girl...
...an 18 year old girl...

I am aware it's more common to adopt an infant... a toddler... as they are still young... like clay... to be molded into the vessels they occupy for the rest of their lives...

But my girl is perfect as she is... so soft-spoken and kind... despite the people she's grown up around her entire life.

Her mother is dead, her father rejects her because he has another family... her grandmother is dying, her sisters kicked her out of their home... asides from my sister and some friends, she is alone in the world.

So I will adopt her.
I'm only 4 years older and might not have too much 'motherly' advice to give her... but I know how to love...and to share... cos I know what it's like to feel alone in the world... to feel rejected by family... I have lived it... and still live it.

She is so beautiful... you'd love her if you saw her... with dark caramel skin and a slight lisp... and pearly white teeth... she smiles a lot despite the curveballs life has thrown at her. Yeah... she smiles with her eyes.

Her mother was her best friend... she died of cancer about 2 years ago... her father had promised her mom on her deathbead to take care of her...
...he LIED...

He now reminds her of his new family whom he can't afford to loose... he does not speak to her of education past high school, he does not care if she eats or not... does not call her to see if she has clothes, shelter...
... he has his own family...

Her sisters... oh gosh... the story I heard about her sisters made the tears flow uncontrollably...
Her grandmother(the person she is most close to in the world)... is robbed by her older sister, the woman has suffered two strokes and a heart attack and is being indefinitely held in the intensive care unit... her sisters charge their grandmother to feed her, they hardly change her(diapers)... this girl travels on the bus for over 2 hours sometimes... just to change her grandmother and take her food...
... she is only eighteen...

The stories I heard last night... I was trying to comfort her... and ended up just sobbing alongside her...
... her grandmother is dying...
...she has some family... but is alone...
... so I will love her...

Everything I do for my sister... I will do for her...
... My heart has been stolen by the tears of a wonderful young girl in need...
... I love her...

and yes... I will adopt her.
There is so much pain and sadness in the world... sometimes I wish I had a magic wand...

There is a God.

50 comments:

Afolabi said...

Sad story, and I admire you for your courage and compassion. Hope things go well with you and your new friend.

mizchif said...

Gracious, kind, sweet,.... toomany adjectives for this gesture of yours. There definitely is a God and he sees your kindness and will definitely reward you!

Funms-the rebirth said...

ur doing such a beautiful thing........ reminds me of Brooke in one tree hill......
i wish i could adopt a lil' sista like that... all d best

bumight said...

this is so sweet and courageous of u. u might only be 4 years older, but im sure u'll do ok, more than u give urself credit for.

Temite said...

awwwwww. ONB - you are truly a gem. most definetely a gem and one can only hope that there are more women like you in the world. You have inspired me. WOW! YOU GO GIRL.

miz-cynic said...

awwww. u have inspired me to do something selfless and nice this week so off i go.

Bookie19 said...

You are very brave to adopt an adult...we need more people like u in this world.. Its so sad and especially difficult when your family turns their back on you..Hope everyhing works out with you guys and you can bring as much joy into her life as she does into yours..will love to hear abt your journey together.

Just...Toluwa said...

hmmm..sad story! I hope things get better for her sha!

Ladi said...

God bless you for your kindness if only more people were this sensitive to others needs. I hope everything goes well.

Unbiased said...

YOU GOT YOU A WONDERFUL HEART THERE. I hope it all works out for you both.

Jayla said...

dat is really nice of u to do........ at least she will look up to u like the nice big sister she wishes she had.

Jayjazzy said...

Its so nice that u want to adopt her and i hope and pray that u ll have the resources both material and spiritual 2 do it.

teecity said...

awww so sad, how can people be so wicked?

do takia of uyourself and her.


MAY GOD BLESS YOU.

K said...

That is the nicest thing anyone could do for someone else "adopt" them...not everyone has family, where you are blessed take your blessings and share. God put you in her path my dear!

Anonymous said...

God Bless you!!!!!
I was tearing up just reading her story..
How did you meet her?

dabizniz said...

Indeed there is a God what you are doing by offering support is Divine. May God reward you immensely and hell her from all the hurt

Original Mgbeke said...

Damn, such a sad, sad story. God bless as you adopt her and try to show her that there is love in this world. God bless you indeed...

Chei.

BlackRose said...

awww...that's so sweet of u

mamuje said...

Thats thoughtful of you, so how are you going about it?

theicequeen said...

whoa...fi real? overwhelmed a mommy? mighty good thing you're doing there...her story touches me deeeeeeply

Third World Profashional said...

I'm first! That is such a selfless thing you're doing and extremely inspiring, I know I can't do it though. Which is why we need more people like you in the world and less like me.

Miss Definitely Maybe said...

such a sad story
what makes it even more disheartening
is the fact that this is sufferring that can be avoided
people are growing more selfish by the day
you are doing a wonderful thing
you will definitely be rewarded

~Sirius~ said...

Wow!
How very Kind of you.
Please be careful though....
At least you get a *sister to play with....

Our Story said...

You've got a heart of Gold gurl..Go for it!

scribble,me.free said...

God bless you and your big heart.

archiwiz said...

Hmmmm.... A courageous and loving journey you have undertaken girl. I pray for the grace and fortitude as you go on.
I wonder though, would you have to legally adopt her, or would you take her into your own family without any legal binding?

Confessions in scarlet said...

I agree ther is so much sadness in this world.Her story brought tears to my eyes. I admire your strength and courage adn i'm sure you will make a difference in her life

Afrobabe said...

Gosh, thats a truely sad story...when we feel we have it bad we meet someone who needs help more than u need that new pair of shoes...

Ovay West said...

such is life!! but thankfully, there are people like you. May God reward you!

Ms. Catwalq said...

tell her that Aunty Catwalq will soon start collecting salah-rie and she can come and collect stipend. You: don't let me see you any where near my sakani.

LusciousRon said...

That is really kind of you. May God reward you with baundant blessings.

I want to be a part of her life too.

simplegal said...

I'm sure you'll make a whole world of difference for her. I'm happy to know that her story is about to get a whole lot happier because of you!

God will surely reward you for your kindness!

J'Adore Fashion said...

this is really great of you. all the best. God is your strength.xx

Anonymous said...

Bless ya Heart child

AlooFar said...

The world needs more people like you.

Kemberly said...

You have a wonderful heart and I pray God grants you and your new child/sister all your hearts desire. :)

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

This is a good thing you are doing, my sista. If you know anyone coming from the DC area, let me know so we can send her something, even if its just a shirt and some jeans. Or a couple books, God knows we have loads here.

Please keep up the good work, you will surely be rewarded for it by the incredible effect you will have on the life of this young lady.

seamstress said...

you are a blessing to her,i hope she is a blessing in your life too.

Favoured Girl said...

That's very nice of you to reach out to someone in need of love and a family. Her story is indeed a sad one. I pray God gives you the strength to be a good friend and big sister to her. Well done ONB!

Sting said...

Thank you for trying to do such a nice thing for someone.

ibiluv said...

awesome thing you are doing......God's speed

The Diary of A Naija Girl said...

Really bold step my dear...It is well.Chika(changed my blog URL)

ShonaVixen said...

God will bless you richly hon!!!

esquire said...

Of course there is a God. He is the one who puts her in your care and he is going to help you take care of her. Big ups!

bArOquE said...

quite overwhelming...GOD will bless you & lead you to make really wise decisions concering this move

NigerianDramaQueen said...

Yes, there is indeed so much pain and suffering in the world. But like you said, there is a God...and he filled the world with beautiful people with beautiful hearts like you as well...May you find the strength, courage and wisdom to be the support she needs...

So what r we doing for the birthday?!!!Made any plans yet?! It's an official blogville parri oh! Lol@ your comment on my page...your too hilarious!
Have a fantabulous weekend
xxxx

Afrobabe said...

ee this is what I was talking about in jinta's blog...it starts with YOU doing something for one person...one person only....

Woomie O! said...

It will work out...and she will always appreciate you.
When we got my lil sis, I had no idea what I could do for her...but I was aware she needed my help, no matter how little...nothing makes me happier than seeing her smile and knowing that somehow, I have saved her.

ablackjamesbond said...

Thank you for doing something. Most of us stop at talking.

Afunto baby! said...

Whoooa.. This is deep soon! as in are you forreal... wow.. I dont even know what to say. Im Astounded like forreal yo! Omolomo. at such a tender age, already going thru soo much.. God bless you pls take good care of her ooo..