Thursday, June 26, 2008

My soul grieves

The love of my Igbo-music-life... Sir Oliver De Coque is dead!!!
...He was supposed to play my traditional wedding... and freestyle my name as I danced in my traditional outfit and 'sprayed' dollars on him... his dancers... him... his guitar... his drums...

Oliver De Coque... one of my best memories of my dad... when he used to play his albums in his green Mercedes as we travelled cross state every christmas to visit my grandparents in the village... when my dad lit up his rothmans and made up silly songs
...'we are home home home for christmas isi azu mangala oporoko... we are home we are home we are home we are home... we are home we are home for christmas'

Oliver De Coque was the first African singer I danced to... the first one I spent my savings on when he played at my grandpas funeral... I danced till I was short of breath...

Oliver... the original freestyler... this man had talent and flair and lyrics and compositions and personality out of this world... which song do I begin from... 'Peoples club?'... 'Funny Identity?'... 'Uwa cholu obi umeani?'... 'Otimpu?'... 'Olisa ka anyi na ayo?'... 'Biri kam Biri?'...

He made music to settle land disputes to...
He made music to crown chiefs with...
He made music to drink palm wine and eat bush meat to...
He made music to get married to...
He made music to make babies to(Igbo babies at least... lol)...

The man was spiritual.... funny... inspirational... philosophical... sexy(lol)...

The lyrics of my favorite Oliver De Coque song 'Identity':
'When i wake up in the morning I go pray to my God/ When i come back in the evening I go pray to my God/Always believe in trying/Nothing comes for nothing/Always do my best and leave the rest to God'
Funny funny identity...

'My papa advise make I play my music with honesty/ My mama advise me make I respect all my seniors/ Always cut my coat according to my size/I no dey promise anything when my power no reach/ My yes is my yes/My no is my no/ I no dey make Iyanga...I'm a simple man by nature.
Funny funny identity...

'When coconut come for up e no dey harm anybody/Coconut get water nobody knows from where e enter/If you do good to me I go thank you for your favour/If you do bad to me na you sabi oh'
Funny funny identity...

'Sometimes when I dress I dress like boy-yo-yo/Sometimes when I dress I dress like chief Obi/I been get bear-bear... my bear-bear is by nature/ Music is my talent thats my identity...'
Funny funny identity...

Tell me that man isn't the Michael Jackson and Coldplay and Kanye West and John Legend and Bono of Africa... try and tell me that...

Oliver... just 60 years old... why couldnt you just stay another 10...

I loved you so Oliver... Your music made me happy... made me laugh... made me smile...

I will remember you always... I will sing your music to my children... I will play you in places where nobody understands a word that you say... I will introduce you to my Yoruba friends and my Jamaican friends and my Angolan friends and my White friends...

You live on...

34 comments:

chi-grace said...

First!!!

chi-grace said...

My Dad is a big fan as well, and he played the Sir Olivers music as if it was the only one that existed. I remember vaugely in the 80's my parents were out almost every weekend to Peoples club (I think that is what it was called).
The man was a legend. I always admired the care and attention he gave his beard. If only I gave my hair that much!!

RIP homie....you go still dey reign

x

africa entertainment and sports said...

These are hard times for the Nigerian music industry.We need to pray.Oliver was a successful artiste;very fulfilled.He carved out out his own unigue style even when Sir Warrior, Ikenga Superstars and the rest were reigning.May his soul rest in peace.

Buttercup said...

oh wow, im actually 1st, yay!!!!!

awwwwwwwwwww...sorry babes...im afraid i havent heard any of his songs(i probably have but i dunno)..u make him sound like he was really great..may his soul RIP..

Omosewa said...

Hey babeeeeeeee*tight hug*

I always knew him as the man with the interesting beard. When i read he died, i went to read up on him and he had such intelligent words, his story is so inspiring. I also started listening to his songs on youtube and even though i dont really know what they are about, i love the beats and thats good. I will look for this identity song, i remember reading him say his songs were built to inspire people, how true. May his soul RIP.

Babe,im not a tv or show person, but Gossip girl caught my attn, i dont know why, but you should try. Have you gotten gladiators yet? Those things are pricey but cute. Im looking for the cutest bag in my city. I went to BCBG the other day and saw this 300dollar bag and its in my dreams. LOL, poverty is not an option men.

Have a good one, mwahh mwahhhh

goodnaijagirl said...

What a nice tribute. I had never heard of him before his death but I hope I get an opportunity to listen to his music.

May he rest in peace.

Buttercup said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaargh chi-grace u beat me to it! y did i think i was 1st, huh?? *walks out confused*

Charizard said...

wow are you serious?

Mehnnn d@s sad...eeyaa...

Charizard said...

lol @ buttercup!!!

buahahahaahahaa!!! Sorry babe...it dont work like tha....

Buttercup said...

@ charizard..if i catch u, ehn!

Buttercup said...

@ charizard..atleast i got here before u..buhahahahahahaha!

bumight said...

pele, you still have Awilo, if that's any consolation.

He has gone to Heaven to play music with the angels.

....and sorry to break it to you like this, he is NOT the coldplay of Africa!

OluwaDee said...

Dint really know much of Olivers music, guess its cos am yoruba.

U can still have his music played @ your wedding.

uNWrItten* said...

awww oliver was truly great mehn..lol at making igbo babies to his music..im sure that is how i was conceived lol..very nice tribute ONB..and pls dont beef me now..:)
oya i hereby tag u specially..lol..hope ur enjoying ur summer as well babe

Vera Ezimora said...

My dad, mom, and I were discussing that. Sucks. I was really shocked to hear about his death. Sad!!

But if you want, I can play @ ur wedding.

Original Mgbeke said...

Wow! I am sooo behind, how did I not know this?
Chei! RIP Oliver ooooo...My ipod is filled with his music. I no send, I be the original Mgbeke na!
Rest well Oga Oliver.

Sting said...

I have heard of him, but i can't remember ever listening to his music. Sad. Nice post on him, makes me want to go get his album and listen to. I like his lyrics.

Afrobabe said...

awwwww... that's nice...we have truely lost a great talent...

Chika said...

Awww....the song funny identity sure brings back sweet memories..He was a very talented musician and i really wish he stayed much longer to play at your wedding...lol!

Aijay said...

Awww... this is such a nice tribute.
His death is really sad... may his soul RIP.

Mocha said...

NO WAY!!!
I didnt know he was gone!!

Oh no..

We grew up on Oliver in my home..my bro will be shocked to hear this..
Funny funny identity..I remember that so well..

Chukwu gozie..

Moody Crab said...

I will miss him as well. He always came to our place esp during christams. Also, anytime we had parties my dad would invite him and he would play sometimes even sleeping over with his group.

My family are going to his place for the burial but I don't think I will go cos burials give me the creeps. I will def miss him.

R.I.P Sir Oliver de Coque


PS: He was scheduled to play at my wedding as well. Oh well, we will make do with a duet between Awilo and Celine Dion. Abi what do you think babe?

Moody Crab said...

Biri ka mbiri is my fave song of his!! It just gives you hope that oneday eveything will be well

Pink-satin said...

RIP Oliver

NigerianDramaQueen said...

I could have sworn I left a comment on here yesterday!

Anyways, to use Nneoma's words-''A great Iroko tree has fallen''...

Living or dead-He will always be a legend...

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I don't know him but I'll download.
I love hearing new stuff.

diary of a G said...

I remember you spoke very fondly of Oliver De Coque

am sure thru his music n legacy he will be immortal

exschoolnerd said...

talkde about hima while back with my friends only to read that he was dead.so so sad....may his soul res in peace!

he lives on with his music.


u have been tagged missy!

pamela said...

hmmmm....
my sister starts her day with his music.

May his legend live on.

BlogVille Idol said...

we have unveiled 2008 blogville idol contestants check out the page to know when the competition starts and for more details and pls make sure u participate by listening and voting for your favorite contestant...pls stop by d page and show us some love!tanx

NikkiSab said...

Its real sad dat a gr8 high life musician has been swallowed by d earth. May his soul rest in peace.

Atutupoyoyo said...

Was very sad to hear. I will always imagin him young and full of life and energy.

RIP Oliver

AlooFar said...

Damn! It's sad.

I grew up listening to so many Naija oldies. I heard a lot of Oliver's.

RIP Oliver.

geisha said...

ok sis... its blogville idol time
and i'm in it!
dont laugh, i sound average not outrighty bad, ok!
vote for me babe, i'm counting on you!!! and i dont care if ur loyalties are split cuz i was ur cybersis first!!!
xx