Monday, April 07, 2008

Mummy Sunday 18

I started writing my Mummy Sundays about 18 months ago… ironic that this is my 18th one. I dedicate it to the angel who made me start writing them… the woman who gave of herself so selflessly to her ailing mother, who lived for her mother… who smiled in the face of adversity…


FOR LONDONBUKI and her MOTHER

Though I have slacked off recently, I was inspired to start writing about my mother because of LondonBuki and her dedication to her mother… her Mummy Mondays.

Rain or shine, every Monday, she penned her devotional to her mother. On days when she didn’t have the internet available, she braved the elements(sometimes really chilly weather), went to Internet cafes to write something about the beautiful woman who birthed her… the triumphs and setbacks, how her mom teased her sometimes, how her mom danced, how her mom cooked, how her mom laughed… her moms hair, her moms love… Her Mom.

LondonBuki washed her moms hair, cut her toenails, lotioned her skin, sang her songs, read her books… told her mother what was happening out there in the world while she rested.

She ran a marathon and dedicated it to her mother… she wasn’t ashamed to ask for prayers and none of us were ashamed to give them to her.

I started writing Mummy Sundays because I had never before experienced such dedication in a person towards their mother before LondonBukinot fictional… not in real life… I cried so many times reading her Mummy Mondays… she’s such a beautiful person… and I really am inspired by her… I drew strength from LondonBuki’s strength… I celebrated her joys… and I will tell you she’s as nice outside of blogsville as she is inside… she's absolutely gorgeous and smart and really witty and razz when she wants to be... so knowledgeable and has the best 'Nigerian girl' hair I've ever seen

It’s incredibly sad that her mom didn’t make it… she passed away last week… I cried when I heard… so I can’t begin to imagine how she feels… I don’t really know any great words of consolation to say cos I don't even understand... I really want to ask why... I'm sure somebody would say 'Gods time is the best'... it's just really hard for me to grasp that ...

There’s a song I used to listen to as a child when I was going through HELL and missed my mother so much I didn’t know if I could survive it…

I don’t know who sings it or the words to the entire song… but I sing it for you now my darling:

“He’s always there… to brighten up your days… always there in everyway… when its cold and dreary and your faith is growing weary… you don’t have to be afraid… he’s always there just ask for what you need… he’ll be there if you believe… open up your heart… invite him to come in… he’ll turn your life a round and change you from within… waiting to care”

You are blessed for the rest of your life LondonBuki… your mom smiles at you from heaven, as does God… and he will give you the strength to go on… and to deal with this… you and everybody else who loved her… my prayers and my heart is with you during this difficult time.

I love you my angel.

Your friend

Overwhelmed Naija Babe

29 comments:

BlackRose said...

OMG! she didn't make it??
my regards 2 LondonBuki.. it is well!

Ms. Catwalq said...

London Buki taught alot of us in Blogville to not only cherish what we have and take for granted but also that when you really love someone, nothing will come in the way of your service to them.

I hurt for her and with her because I so truly believed that I would come to her blog and see a picture or post that she was well again and back to where she used to be. I think God needs her to continue what she did here which was to teach by her continued existence, that in all we do, we have to hold on to God.

May The Blessings Be

Zena said...

OMG,

I followed that post day in, day out, My Gosh!My Gosh!

kai!I'm speechless

Nwanyi Ocha said...

Oh dear.....

" may her mum's soul rest in peace, AMEN!"

NikkiSab said...

I really wish London buki and her siblings strength to go thru dia mom's loss. May her mom rest in peace.

Bella Naija said...

My dear Overwhelmed....long time!
I'm so sad about LB's mum.
I am glad we got to 'know' her through LB's blog.
Gone too soon but we know she will Rest in Peace.

omohemi Benson said...

Nice one , ONB,
May God comfort Lb and her family at this time and give them strength to go on.

TaureanMinx said...

Beautifully written ONB.

Mocha said...

Absolutely lovely..lovely..

God bless.

Kira Fashion said...

Hello!!

How are you doing?
you are in my links of the day,
i hope you like it :)
keep in touch,
a kiss and a hug,
Kira

doll said...

yea she was a real inspiration

OluwaDee said...

May God comfort LB's family @ this time.

9cly written.

Omosewa said...

I trust she's in a better place. It is true that LB is blessed for the rest of her life, awesome chic.

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

that's so sad...:/

consciousness said...

…yes Miss ONB!!

… Salutations sista!!...A well-penned tribute to an outstandingly iconic and influential mother-child relationship!!...Partnering you in your prayers…!!

Peeeeeaaacceee!!
C!!

Jaycee said...

One word. Beautiful!!!

Aaaaaah, God you know. We thank You in all things. "Mwah" to Londonbuki.

bibi said...

i know how u feel.. i actually dropped some tears wen i read her post..
she also inpires me..
i am so certain shes gonna reap everythn she did.. Gosh.. ive never seen someone love her mum like that..
may God ble yu buki.. mwahh

great post ONB.. God bles yu also

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

She will never be forgotten, and her memory will continue to live in our hearts. The Love of a daughter. The Love of a mother. That Love that taught much to us all. Rest in peace our beloved mum.

LondonBuki said...

Love you loads Sweetie... thanks for this.
Thank you all...

Kira Fashion said...

I am happy you enjoy it,
thanks so much for posting me back and keep in touch!!!

a kiss and a hug,
Kira

Nigerican said...

My heart goes out to her. I had to stop reading her blog cus it broke my heart every single time i went by there. I kept wandering what if that was my mother ... i prayed that everytime i clicked on her page her mother would be better.May she rest in perfect peace.

BeautyinBaltimore said...

Oh God, this is sad. I need to get over to Buki's blog pronto to give her my prayers.

I noticed that you stoped writing Mummy Sunday's. I missed those posts.

La Reine said...

Beautiful.

Labelle for Jotees Trendz said...

wow! May she find rest

NigerianDramaQueen said...

I can not begin to imagine the pain she is going through. I pray she finds strength, courage and wisdom through it all.
How u dey babes? Hows the marathon training going? We havent heard about the American in a while ohhhh,lol.

NigerianDramaQueen said...

I just went to LondonBuki's page and saw she had updated. She has such a strong spirit. Wow.

Anonymous said...

The song was done by Cece Winans on their (Bebe & Cece) album "Relationships". Very apt , i must say. Death is always a blow, may God comfort her and her family.

Vox said...

I have always admired london buki's devotion to her mum.May God rest her gentle soul.

Fausset said...

yeah i also love mumy monday i think i need to be inspired to write that too...very inspirational.....may her mums soul rest in peace