Friday, March 07, 2008

Dear Marley,

My favorite American

Today I saw a guy who looked like you...
and I thought of you. I do think of you, you know... more than I let on... far more than I tell you. I remember your gorgeous dreadlocks... the geography of your face... the scratchy beauty of your voice... the liquid gurgle of joy that is your laughter.

In some of my memories, you are magical, someone made especially for me, for now... a creature of joy and tears and pleasure and pain... to whom no feeling that comes naturally is excessively restrained

In other memories, you are quite ordinary... an ordinary guy from an ordinary place... who looks, thinks and acts... ordinary.

Mentally, I pick you apart trying to understand what exactly it is about you...
Your gentle spirit?...you care in a way that doesn't leave any room for doubts, any other opinion... others.

Your joy of expression?... that you don't hesitate to tell me anytime, anyday... anyplace.

That you'd stop in the middle of a conversation and hold me like I have the key to your salvation... the fact that in those moments you don't quite feel so nice or pure... more like turmoil and anger and stark reality.

I love the dichotomy of you... nothing is white or black or exactly defined... there are so many colours and textures... so much already said... so much left to be said.

My feelings about this might change in a day or a week or a month, but for now I'm happy with this moment, you... now.

Your 'BHTL'
*ps: you're so cute when you get jealous*

21 comments:

Risquediva said...

awww nice, na wa this kain feeling sha...wait a minute am i first?

Arewa said...

First? emi ..iro ni?

Arewa said...

Aww so sweet...Omo nah Bob Marley u dey write about so.....?!....lol

Arewa said...

Who is this Marley gongon ?

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

Risquediva: lol… first you are… na really wah my dear is the best way to say this

Arewa: unfortunately no… but kosi wahala… lmao whish kain Bob Marley? It’s the American… I call him Marley on this blog… haha… that name just takes care of itself.. lol.. I love it… but yeah don’t mind him jare… he has the locks… but certainly not the singing voice… he sounds like a screeching tire when he sings… lmao.

Zena said...

arewa don change to pure nigerian, see this babe spitting yoruba, ok! now,lol

I really thought it was Bob Marley you were talking about, so is the American back now?

Idemili said...

Na wah sha. Who si this person, eh? Jamo agaghi egbu gi, nwanne m o!

Me I tink say na Bob o.

Ms. Catwalq said...

o ga ooooooooo

bumight said...

so this is the very famous american? hmnnn

so do u want to tell us what BHTL means?

NigerianDramaQueen said...

"the geography of your face, the liquid gurgle that is your laughter.."

Babes your words and your thoughts always seem to come to a perfect compromise. As always, love it!

Have a great weekend! Bout to go tweez the eyebrows, shave the legs, etc.....lol, *wink

Orekelewa said...

o ga o...this american has really lit a fire.....EVERYWHERE....you have a way with words girl!!!!

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

Zena: lol… I’m loving her slang… ahh not Bob Marley… I just call him that on my blog(cos of his dreads… lol… a bit obvious… I know)… he lives in America… away on vacation right now though… don’t mind him… gallivanting without my consent… lol.

Idemili: It’s a boy oh nwannem Ide… you’d like him too… haha… oburokwa onye Jamo oh…come this babe self… everybody that has dreads has to be Jamaican ehn? But tru tru sha… those Jamo boys agaghi ebum… I’ve taken a little time off… the next destination would be white boys(lol… let ‘Marley’ catch me talking about next destination… hehe)

Ms. Catwalq: haha… na you sabi… you’ll get over his dreads soon…

Bumight: Yes… its himmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm… BHTL… lol… if I told you… I’d have to kill you… ok I like you… I’d just have to hurt you… how you doing mami? Oddly enough I might let him read this… I’ll think about it… oh gosh… then it’d actually be the first letter I’ve ever written to (and not about a guy)

Nigerian Drama Queen: shey you know you’ve style style bcome one of my favorite people on blogsville… thanks my darling… omo this weekend is about to be on!!! I’m going to a Grenadian party tonight… and an art exhibition downtown tomorrow… the legs NEED to be shaved… lol… oh and my nails… I have to refill them… or take them out… have a fantastic weekend yourself my angel… I already know you will.

Jaja said...

Not Bob that?

Afronuts said...

from the first paragraph sounds like u're talking about bob marley..right?

Pink-satin said...

love wantintin!!at least u are happy for now!!

Naija Vixen said...

May amebo not kill me, i'm frantically trying to work out what "BHTL" means!!!

Naijadude said...

ah! na wah ooh..

Nyemoni said...

Hmmn.........

Uzo said...

Awww....Hotness...Sweet, eloquent, honest, torn...

Love it

NikkiSab said...

UHHHHH!!!!! american/canadian lovers. Its so nice d way u talked about him. wats up girl?

BeautyinBaltimore said...

So this is the guy who turned my friend Overwhelmed out sha. Got you writing poetry and stuff. No small small arm on this one oh.