Sunday, February 24, 2008

My friend... my hero

A little over a year ago Kuza aka Angela had to undergo a fibroid operation.
Some pain, tears, prayers and months later... she was fine.

I love Kuza
She's strong and beautiful and smart and talented and caring
...and has been one of my closest friends for a number of years now...

We celebrated our birthdays a few days apart 2 weeks ago... dinners and birthday parties, good food and even better friends.

She called me last week.
I thought she wanted to talk about the weather... her boyfriend...a painting she was working on...' Marley'... atmospheric pressure... her bowels... anything but what she ended up telling me.
...she'd gotten a call...'
...her father had died two days before in her part of Portugese speaking Africa...

I tried for words... but what does one really say when a friend is in such emotional pain?
sorry? you'll be fine?

I hurt for her... so I went over to her house.. gave her a 5 minute hug and just sat with her.

Then I saw her easels and paint and brushes and remembered a special invitation she'd given me to her art exhibition a few weeks before.
...she was going ahead with it...

She'd put months of work, thousands of dollars, sweat and tears and smiles into her paintings.

I have never been as proud of a person as I was when I went by her exhibition on Friday evening with 2 of my closest friends Naijadyme and Breastina.

The effort and resources she put into it from getting such a great downtown location to the fact that every single painting in the art room was hers...
...she was the opener... the headliner... the main event.

It wasn't the first time I'd gone to support her at a gallery or art event... but this one touched me like no other.
Kuza was sad... but everything she'd created was of beauty... I was blown away by my friend who was able to find life in death... light in darkness... joy in sorrow.

I had an amazing time with my friends listening to jazz, eating cheese and crackers and admiring art... some of which I knew... and some I didn't... with people I knew... and some I met.

I hereby present to you a preview of the beauty in the mind of my friend Kuza:






For this celebration of life... your ability to be strong when many others would have crumbled... you have become more than a great friend... you have become one of my heroes.
... I love you Kuza...

30 comments:

Afrobabe said...

A very sad post...I never know what to say to someone who has lost a loved one either...I think just being there is the best you can do...

She is very talented though...

Fo said...

Some times words dont say much....noone ever knws wht to say in a situation like that...but like afrobabe said,just being there is the best you can do...kuza is gifted...let her know that every day!....condolences to her...

Patrice said...

She will find comfort in your warmth.

Which gallery and until when?

bumight said...

I don't do well at comforting pple who've lost loved ones, cos I don't know what to say that won't sound trite, no matter the empathy i feel.
I' sure she would be so proud to read this.

PS: I didn't do anything to ur comment o, maybe blogger is trying to tell u something. ask him not me!, lol!

Omosewa said...

Very nice paintings.

May God grant her the strength she needs to go through this tough time.

Have a blessed week babe.

UnNaked Soul said...

Nice work your friend done... and nicely done work too ONB. If you write this about me only God knows what I'll do... nice one girl...

uhmm... Marley?

InCogNaija said...

I have yet to come up wif the appropriate way to console ANYBODY in a grieving situation but i know not to avoid seeing them. You made the right move just going to sit wif her.i am sure she will pull thru. she sounds like a winner. And her paintings are great.
I wish her strenght in this time.

geisha said...

nothing ever sounds appropriate. but i guess

when one door closes...

Jaycee said...

ONB dearie...this was really beautiful...

Without knowing ur friend, I can almost feel her pain mixed with feelings of elation and celebration still. May God console her and give her peace of mind...and the courage to go on...

Beautiful.

Naijasutra said...

this is really cool, the posting and the paintings.

Nyemoni said...

Aww ONB...you don't update for over a month and I come here to seeyou have more n one post....awwww....
I'm sorry about your friends loss...no words are good enough to show you share the loss, but just being there is what counts.... My condolences....

anonymous gal said...

hug ur friend 4 me. i know hw=er exhibition would go wel.

pink gloves said...

Sorry for your friends loss. The most u can do is to be there for her.
Also as per her work, does she have a website?

pamela said...

I can't say anything more than, " I am so sorry"

uNWrItten* said...

aww her art is soo beautiful..i hope she is ok..

:)

Uzo said...

Aww..Its the circle of life hon. She is lucky to have you..How come you havent sent Aunty Uzo an email?

Chika said...

Really touching...Kuza will be fine.She's indeed a great person!

Arewa said...

I totally understand what ur friend is going through and no amount of words will make her feel ok... U never get over losing a loved one...I still cry for my dad..as I miss him soo much. Just continue to be there for ur friend...and plse tell her that i absolutely hove her pieces they are fab, she is really talented!!!

Diva said...

Great art collection. . . .Its so sad, wat do u tell people that lose loved ones?

Check out ma blog:
http://cremesturvs.blogspot.com/

Pink-satin said...

awwwwwwwwwwww!i am always at loss at what to say to a bereaved person...but i think it is best not to say things like "it is well"..cos it is obviously not well... or "the lord giveth and taketh...oh puhleeze at that point most pple are blaming God for their loss...i think it is best to just hug them,let them know you are there for them...take them food,talk about the good times they had with that person!

Poor Kuza...my ondolences

Justme said...

i am so glad to see you!! lol! i mean read you! lol! Trust u had a FAB time!

NigerianDramaQueen said...

je tire le chapeau pour votre amie! I adore those paintings- does she have a website or something?

Ms. Catwalq said...

from the ashes rises the phoenix....

NikkiSab said...

Very nice paintings. Wen a psn looses a love one, dere r no real comforting words dat can calm dia broken heart. So i advice u pray for her to be consoled and d soul of her departed father. And dat hug u gave, i bet it meant a whole more dan words.

Omohemi Benson said...

Her pieces are beautiful...

when a friend loses a loved one,
there isn't much to say but just be there, your strong,loving warm presence, will do enough..

coco said...

just to let you know Dita does have a book, it's really good. I'm sure it's easy to find on amazon or something

!*!*!*!*!Fresh and Fab!*!*!*!*! said...

aw, she has amazing painting, hpe everything goes fine for her

Bold and Beautiful said...

Lovely art.U sure are a great friend.She must know that.She must be proud to have u as a friend

Favoured Girl said...

There are never really the right words to say to comfort somebody who has lost a loved one. Being there for her conveys how you feel more than words can.
Her paintings are great too, I wish her all the best with her exhibition.

How are you Overwhelmed?

Kira Fashion said...

amazing paintings...

a kiss

keep in touch,

Kira