Saturday, December 01, 2007

Me Against The Music

Last night was one of the most liberating experiences of my life...
I was out in my red jacket... with a few of my closest friends.

Hype Boulevard picked me up for a pizza. We drove around... and then...
took a trip to a Jamaican restaurant for salad and a sad friend...

A quick stop to pick 'Dancing Queen' from work... and 'Complex Simplicity' from monotony
We checked in at the cineplex... 10.30pm and the last movie playing was Beowulf
We'd watched it before.

Funny metaphors, Great company and an SUV...
Leaving there, we laughed to our hearts content... at boyfriends, exboyfriends and ex-almostmotherinlaws

Next stop: the bowling alley-
We went upstairs to the wrinkled white woman at the counter and her chippy smile

$2 for bowling shoes... $3 for each game

Complex Simplicity: I want a size 9 shoe
Dancing Queen: I want a 9 and a half

All the girls: What do you want Overwhelmed... a size 15?

Me: FUCK YOU>>> BITCHES!!!

We decided not to bowl anymore after it turned out that my girl 'Hype Boulevard' and I didn't have socks on... and we sure as hell werent going to wear those 'for-all' shoes without any

We decided to go to a bar...
Hype Boulevard and Complex Simplicity had never seen Dancing Queen and I drunk

We walked in... to about 8 guys grinning at the door, a pool table and many more nursing beers with a smile.
Sat at the far leftside of the bar

A pitcher of Stella Artois... and 2 Pineapple Malibus
and interesting conversations...

"I can't stand the bastard... "
"You guys won't believe this... I actually think this brown boy is sexy...God his voice"
"Whitelips is such a perv"

Half an hour later:
"Waitress can we please have more Pineapple Malibus"

"God wheres the eye candy..."

"Why don't we do some shots"
"Sambucas for all of us please... and a lighter"
"Light that bitch up and on the count of three"
"GO"...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"I havent had some in a while"
"lol... you probably forgot how"
"... you need a duster to clean out those cobwebs"

...laughter...

"I want escargot. She wants some vegetable spring rolls'
"The blue hawaiian comes with vodka? One of those please!"

I took off my red jacket... hmmm I was feeling nice

"The escargot's delicious... and the blue hawaiian... blue heaven!!"

"A shot of tequila for all of us... and salt"
"Salt on the hand... lick... down the shot... and lemon"
ahhhh... fire

I wanted to dance... like a white girl
so i stood up and shook my dark hair and danced without rhythm
my friends laughed as we trooped past the 'gambling room' to the bathroom.

We decided to go to a strip club... and once again trooped into the car.

On the otherside of the stripclub was a danceclub...
We weren't dressed for it...
...I was in VANS, a hoodie and a size too big skinny jeans...
...Complex Simplicity was in a jean jacket, blue jeans and loafers...
...Hype Boulevard was in a leather jacket, jeans and black loafers..
Dancing Queen was a bit more suitably dressed in her black winter jacket, jeans and black boots.

We'd never EVER been to a club in flats!!!
...or dressed so 'bummy'... even as teenagers

But that was what was so enchanting about it... the unexpectedness... and simplicity
No tweaking of hair and eyebrows, lipgloss and stilletos, cleavage and jewellry
...well other than Simplicitys Movado and my 'Rolex' (inside joke)

I danced liked a maniac... we all did...
Hip-hop and Reggae all night
'...weh dem a do weh dem a try marrow wi fly into the sky... gun mi na borrow mi money buy...'
'...I got my drink and my 2-step its on... and I'm home get the patron and tell them that its on'

2 Jamaican guys with too much jewellry winking at me while i danced like someone in a trance...
We dared to be as silly as we wanted to... danced without thought... consciousness... or care
We laughed and joked and screamed when our songs came on...
Displayed moves we'd almost forgotten we had... old school, new school and everything inbetween
For the first time in my life, I knew what it meant to dance like no one is watching:
...foolish... unfettered... and free.

Last night was the most liberating club experience I've ever had...
no artifice or fancy clothes...
Just me against the music.

31 comments:

CATWALQ a.k.a LAGBA-JESS said...

wakabout!!!!!

u suppose dey house dey read book...jealousy is catching me. Finals have begun

DAVID said...

Such a beautiful piece! Love it!

I love that Mavado's song too!!! So violent though! LOL You should try this one too esp. the second part (try and finish the whole video and learn the steps)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MWDEEeUKCP8

Very LIBERATING!

xXx

nameless.poetical. said...

welcome back hun..got me worried for a minute..my fone is outta commission and lsat's bin holdin me back...but now...:) i can reintegrate myself back into society soon :)

Anonymous said...

hmm, I hope y'all had a designated driver, cause with the drinking and then 'trooping into the car' BE safe out there

Idemili said...

Waka waka! I will tell your mummy! Why did not one invite me to the strip club?

Afrobabe said...

That was a lovely night out...sometimes it should be just for u and ur girls...no checking the guys out or even trying to look good for them...

shit
now I feel like getting high...need to get drunk, hope I make it to work 2morro...ur fault.

Arewa said...

im in stitches @ your dancehall lyrics.....I wish i was out wit u girls ..been so busy with my studies and work. I NEED TO LET MY HAIR DOWN!!
Im glad ur feeling okay now.. i was really worried.

Jezi Brown said...

I luv female camaraderie
you have the most fun that way!
hope youre fine babe!

Zephi said...

countess of lovelace!!!! your back well, strong and having fun

mehn y''all are a riot..I need to hook up with you guys when I come to canada..I wanna do too(as in and dance like I dont care)

BTW check out "My world" post

omo-obanta said...

Glad to hear from you again! we were worried something more had happened.

:)

Aloofaa said...

A very enjoyable read.

Lol

Unbiased said...

haaaaaaa ONB!!!!
Was this a celebration of recovery and escape from death?
I know you are happy and all but just dont overdo it!!

By the way you never did say how you felt the next morning. lol!!

Boso said...

Looks like you guys had a great time.........rock on !!

Uzo said...

Oh ;love this...sometimes all the fluff just limits the fun

pamelastitch said...

so much fun!! Maybe I need to play some music here and dance as well.....

:D

Pammy

Nyemoni said...

Hahahaha.......sounds like you had loadsa fun! Isn't life beautiful?

Noni Moss said...

Nice! Unfortunately as time goes on, those kind of nights come less and less often. :-) Sounds like you had a blast.

Nigerican said...

Don't u just love nights like those :).Ever since I hit 23 , it seems whenever I go out now I seem to have a night like that ,cus now I’m not trying to impress anyone but myself so I don't need to fake the funk and use my representative anymore. Nice one babe.

zaiprincesa said...

awww...loves it, loves it, loves it!!!...havent visited bloggsville in a while...and decided to stop my ur page first...Ive missed u, and ur words...

But im glad to see ur living life and having fun!!!

Obinwanne said...

hmmmmm!!!!!!!!......thats all i can say for that nights waka waka....anyway how are you doing?....hope cool...

Anonymous said...

wow.....theres just something about the way u wrote this that makes me want to cry...lol....seriously...i always really wanted to have a night like that without the make up and outfit n all......u know my sis always says the best way to have fun at a club is to dance like a white girl...or just dance like u dont care...

exschoolnerd said...

seems like u guys had fun...wish i was dere...yall will definately bring out the wild me...u seem like a fun bunch..nice to knw u hd a nice time.

iv only gone clubbing once...................twas horrid.

Teediva said...

good u had a great time after all that accident wahala.

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

talking about dancing like no ones watching ehn?? lets attempt to re create this when u come home in dec. we have a deal abi??

Ozymandias said...

Spontaneity..thats the keyword..going out and doing things on the fly, that's when you have the most fun...and it sure sounds like you did have loads of that...I need to get that as well soon..enjoy !

Thoughts Aloud said...

Babe I give it to you- you have a talent at writing.A unique way that make your words seem like poetry.And that's the truth.U sure sound like you let go and had fun.

Nwanyi Ocha said...

glad to see your up and about

and had fun in the process - not fair* (sulking) i can only dance like that in my bedroom

maybe some pineapple malibu's might help the next time i go out
sigh* - only lord knows when that is.

butterfliesandstars said...

glad to know that you dey alright...
Sure you had a great time
i'm jealous...it's been a while since it's been me (with or without the stilettos) against the music!

i'm just there - been around...

AnyaPosh said...

Enjoy yaself o! If you want to parry you berra parry hard..LOL!!!
Darn...I miss doing it up like that, I can't wait to finals are over.

nameless.poetical. said...

goodbye...

Vickii said...

Sounds like a perfect night ... my favourite nights have also been when I was wearing jeans and flats and had planned on only going out for one drink only to roll in at daylight the next morning extrememly thankful that I'd gone out!

I'm not sure if you're writing is even better than it was or whether I've just been awol from your blog a bit too long but your writing is amazing!