Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Life in a Song 7

Two weeks ago, I watched a wonderful movie called ‘Volver’ with my friend ‘Hype Boulevard’(I called her that cos she’s a fantastic hype(wo)man... you want her on your side in the event of an altercation… or dance-off… her ‘rants’ alone will win you anything).

Volver (the movie) was directed by Pedro Almodovar and featured an all-Spanish cast of which I recognized only Penelope Cruz.

The best scene in the movie was when Penelope sang to her daughter in her neighbours restaurant… the same restaurant that housed the deep-freezer in which she’d hidden the dead body of her husband… {talk about unexpected plot}

In the film, Penelope lipsynchs the song ‘Volver’, as it is actually sang by Estrella Morente… a woman with a voice that can turn the sky gray

Volver by Estrella Morente

I don’t understand a word of Spanish but then again... I don’t really have to speak Spanish to understand love, innocence and its loss… frustration… death.

Volverrrrrrrrrrrr

The song starts out like a Shakespearian pathetic fallacy or foreshadowing of some sort.

Ms. Morente knows and has felt pain… there are tears in her voice… age and accompanying wisdom… mistakes made… and of course lessons learnt.

Hers is the voice of the woman who just lost the love of her life in a fire…
… the voice of the man who just discovered he has inoperable testicular cancer…
…the voice of the woman who just had stillborn twins
… the voice of the man who discovered that the boy he’s called son for 21 years is actually his best friends
… the voice of the child soldier in Iraq...

Her song is the smile on your face as you watch the man you love marry another and happen to catch the bouquet afterwards... the tears that come after the laughter.
It is a voice of sorrow… but also of hope

Estrella Morente is the truth… the kind you hardly find in English music… or storybooks...
She is an ambassador for singers long gone… she sings the sorrow they won’t let you see in the movies

Ms. Morente sings with a voice that should be housed in a different room and only let out in times of perfect silence… a voice of passion expressed and passion restrained.

I have no idea what Estrella Morente looks like but I love her for the gift of her song
…beauty surrounds me...

Today I will wear yellow.

Volverrrrrr

28 comments:

cally-waffybabe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elle said...

Hey girl how is it going? hows life.. I know in a song and you sing it rather well. keep well.

Arewa said...

Damn girl.. u shld be a film critic...ahaha....all these vivid descriptions of actions and emotions....I bow..lol
Thanx for the kind words that u put up on ur blog page about me ...I love u too hon... x x x x

Afrobabe said...

Better get your ass off to a happy movie oh....

Hate movies that make me reflect...rather watch a dumb one that leaves you grinning.

coco said...

I really want to see Volver, mostly because the DVD cover is so stunning
I'm sure I'll watch it sometime

Idemili said...

I loooooooovvvveee Volver!

WendyB said...

Loved that movie too.

Ozymandias said...

yea...that movie is really awesome, brilliant and very well told.

Jen (MahaloFashion.Com) said...

I haven't seen volver yet but I sure am wanting to see it now
thanks for stopping by mahalo
xox

femme said...

do u know what u just did to me?
i am suppoesed to watch volver today at 6 and now i know there is a dead body in a freaking fridge.


ps
im very good, thanks for asking. hope uare having a lovly weekend.

SET said...

I NEVER SAW THE MOVIE, BUT HERE WAS A LOT OF OSCAR NOMINATIONS FOR IT EARLIER THIS YEAR. SEEMS LIKE A GOOD ONE.

HOPING ALL IS WELL WITH YOU LADY

tiwalade said...

wow! sounds really good. would try and see if i could get my hands on a copy of the movie.

Kafo said...

i almost saw the movie once
now u make mii want to go and get it and this time ACUTALLY WATCH IT

Ms-timi said...

Hey luv! Thanks for checking up on my blog. Hope you've been good!

cally-waffybabe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaybabe said...

I haven't watched te movie before..but from what you saying, seems like it's a gr8 movie.
And i haven't listened to any Astrella Morente b4, but from how you explaing her songs, seems to me like she's the kinda of woman who can make you see that what you, yourself , has gone thru in life, was nothing compared to what she and others went thru. I gues she can be my kinda woman.
Thanx for the enlightenment.
I hope you doing good sef?

CATWALQ a.k.a LAGBA-JESS said...

I am off to Amazon.com to get myself a copy on DVD.
I love spanish movies

The Last King Of Scotland said...

Pedro Almodovar is one brilliant director. i will check out the movie, thanks

omo-obanta said...

Hey! thanks for the support. I loved that film...

anonymous gal said...

i aggree wit arewa. u shld be a crtic.

NikkiSab said...

I want to watch the movie o!!!!

CATWALQ a.k.a LAGBA-JESS said...

did i not leave a message here or wetin?

Afrobabe said...

Hey babes,just passing by to show some love...No update?

Always look forward to something scrumptious from you.

nameless.poetical. said...

as he stands in the open doorway to announce his presence...

Teediva said...

i love the way ur words made me think...not even really about the movie but about unrelated stuff...the pain of a woman with stillborn twins...the misery of a soldier in iraq...the betrayal of a man by his best friend. far between, but pain all the same.

nice one.

Justme said...

where the hell is overwhelmed?

Uzo said...

Oh yes...Volver is so great...the movie and the song...how r u?

pam said...

I sing myself. People like you make musicians feel theres a point to all the effort. Letting it out is one thing... connecting to a listener and serving a purpose in thier life is another entirely. Your Celine dion post made me cry... that doesnt mean much... im as soft as marshmallows