Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Traditional D(ist)ress

My friend 'Complex Simplicity' is graduating from my University in about two months...

I’ve known Complex simplicity since I started, we hung out quite a bit, but usually as part of the group. She’s fun, smart, beautiful, witty, a wonderful dancer (most of my friends are now that I think of it)

I feel as though in recent weeks, I’ve gotten to really know her. She’s strong like you won’t believe… I admire her ability to be the way she is after all she’s gone through…

She has a very odd imagination however... the one person I know who finds humour in horror... lol
…a bigger il divo fan I’m yet to meet…

So we’re all very proud of her… cos she’s the very first one to graduate in our ‘dance circle’. Were going to miss her terribly… her graduation however is in a few weeks so I have time to gush later.

See the thing is that Complex Simplicity (living up to her name) has decided that the whole crew must wear traditional outfits to her graduation.

Problem:

I don't have any traditional outfits... ankara, lace or anything inbetween...

I remember wearing my very first lace-wrap when I was 8 on my way to ch
urch… and my wrapper falling down in broad daylight exposing my hoo-haa(well technically I had on a 'shimi' and underwear but I was emotionally scarred nonetheless)
…in the 13 years since the incident, I can’t say I’ve felt any particular desire to wear anything traditional(except when I had to for my paternal grandparents funerals- God rest their souls)

Now I pretty much don't have a choice

So I have about a month to pick up a material... and style... AND get it made...
This would be quite simple if not for the fact that not only have I NOT found a tailor yet, I don't even have any particular style in mind

… I have seen some gorgeous traditional pieces over the years but never paid particular attention as I didn’t think I’d actually have to wear one.

I want a fab… slightly unexpected outfit…

I’m going fabric shopping next week with my girl(s) so over the next few days I’ll be looking at designs. I haven’t been able to find a great many traditional designs online and I’m one of the odd(er) Nigerians who just found out about Ovation magazine last year and of course don’t own a copy.

Solution:

I’ve basically been thinking of ‘western’ designs that translate traditionally (thanks Geisha).

I need HELP.

I’d appreciate any suggestions, pictures, drawings, ideas… web links right here on my blog or in my inbox (overwhelmednaijababe@gmail.com)

I’m currently leaning more towards a dress but I’m open to other things…

CONGRATS Complex Simplicity… we’re SOOO proud

24 comments:

bam bam said...

no fears agony aunt is here nah... seriously d most importnt thing is getting a good tailor nd the perfect piece preferably one that suits your d colour of ur skin finding a style shouldnt be a problem ull b amazed at wot dey can do wit ankara,lace etc good luck!
ps congrats to your friend

SET said...

HI, I AM THINKING A FAB SHIFT DRESS WILL CUT IT. I WILL SERCH FOR IT AND EMAIL THE LINK,

Anonymous said...

Hello ONB,
You can try these sites
www.peridotandruby.com
www.trendyafrica.com (click on photos)
Hope this helps

Be silent said...

Firstie Oh how i hate looking for trad wear

Uzo said...

LOL>....I am sure you will find something and look stunning...With traditional wear these days, the sky is the limit

Naijadude said...

ah! you wear shimi? I will tell

Arewa said...

i think u should check out bella naija's blog...go through her achives .. there are a lot of cool and trendy styles worn in fashion shows and by celebrities..Good luck.. x

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

Bam Bam: yeah I’m gonna ask around for a tailor sometime this week cos I actually wanna see what I look like in traditional… hopefully not scary… lol. I’m light brown so I think I can go either way with colour… I guess I’ll see what catches my fancy when I go there… I heard 3 yards should be enough or something… thanks for the congrats… she deserves it… worked her ass off

Set: ahhh… see why I love you… thanks gorgeous

Anonymous: thanks… I’ll check them out in a bit… I think I remember ms. May or minx talking about them before or maybe it was Bella Naija’s blog…

Be Silent: ahhh… unfortunately not… but its all good… my dear if you hate it… imagine me that hasn’t worn it in how many years… I’m clueless in addition to everything else… God I hope I don’t wind up looking confused cos I can’t say I exactly picture myself in traditional…

Uzo: lol… you’re sure but I’m not oh… I swear the one time my friends mom made me model it for an impromptu fashion show… I scowled through the entire thing and took it off the moment I stepped off… arghhhh… but then again it was a Kenyan blanket looking thing that did absolutely nothing for my figure(whatever I have of one… lol) but thanks my dear… I’ll let you know how it goes…

Naijadude: I don’t oh… I was 8 at the time and people told me what to wear at the time… lol… and why are you so interested in my choice of undergarments self… lol… abi are you beginning to have a crush on me… haha…

Arewa: I figured I should check it out later on… but I remember seeing a lot of complicated designs… I’m not sure if the tailors I find would be able to make things of that magnitude cos Bella featured a lot of big big designers with intricate details… but thanks gorgeous… I appreciate… if this turns out ok… I’ll be so happy…

Zephi said...

I was gonna say peridot and ruby...someone already mentioned it I see......Wearing traditional to graduation sounds nice...repping naija

catwalq said...

I got u...

and I am an Il Divo fan....A mi Manera

Teediva said...

u'll be cool with a long carribean skirt and a matching headscarf....not african enough i guess...lol.

Anonymous said...

Totally off-point but I wanted to say; I dont always care about your content but I LOVE the way you write. You could carve a career out of it.

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

will email u some pictures!! how u doing babes?

BiMbyLaDs** said...

i can send u some pics from the plenty babes that attended my wedding..

LurLar said...

Finding a good tailor is the major thing. Then you guys can design something to suit ur taste. Am really into those african wears lately.

The Last King Of Scotland said...

naija babes look hot in tradi

Jezi Brown said...

congrats to your friend
but i cant help oh
i am usually in your position.

butterfliesandstars said...

Hey dear, i hope my two cents is not too late.
Think you should go for ankara of woodin - if you'd find because its more likely that you'd wear them again (prints are still in, right).

Then you and the tailor - hopefully a good one could work out what suits you - or take your fave summer dress along and ask him to copy/tweak it.

Love u dear.

Send the congrats of blogsville to your friend.

Mmwah!

Jennifer said...

I love getting to know people especially when the show you an unexpected side from them!

Anonymous said...

lol..when last did i hear the word "shimi"...pink-satin

Chika said...

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY GURL!

Afrobabe said...

Choose a style that makes you look like the african queen you are...

Omosewa said...

LOL, no be your graduation o:D I guess u r really happy for her,lol

Men too many styles to choose from, check www.trendyafrica.com. I like ankara dresses, i think they're gawjus

Kira Fashion said...

thanks so much for passing!!!


a big kiss

;)