Monday, May 14, 2007

Is it just me?

I’ve been out of the dating scene for a little over 11 months… but it seems things have changed.
Or is it just me?


I’m just chilling out and taking my time with things… but of course when a cute girl suddenly becomes single, the boys start popping out of the woodwork…
they wanna ‘holla’


1) Femi the social worker: He’s the first male social worker I ever met, very smart, about 6 ft 3, drives a nice car. I met him at a Nigerian party a few weeks ago. He’s cute but has an ‘Igbo’ head… you know the ones with the rumple at the back(which I absolutely can’t stand… my father has one). He’s extremely nice but a big eager… I mean I know they’re hot but you really don’t have to complement my legs as well as the direction my hair grows in. He really likes me… perhaps a bit too much for someone he just met. He tells me I have the perfect attitude, outfit, looks, hairstyle, legs, smile, laugh, smarts… a bit too perfect aren’t I?

He took me clubbing a while ago and we met a couple of my girls over there. He got us drinks all night… and dinner after… he likes the fact that I know what I want(lol… yes… another compliment). My friends think he’s a nice guy and loved the fact that he was wearing a green lacoste golf-shirt(I’ve always wanted one so apparently it’s fate…lol… whatever). The verdict was still out on him… until he started mouthing off about wanting to ‘play with’ and ‘make me feel good’
You nuts dude? I don’t know you like that… and since you’re that fast about things… I don’t even really wanna get to know you like that.

2) Irabor the overtime worker: I met him a few days after Femi at my besties friends baby birthday. He’s benin, alright looking nice guy... 5ft 11, drives a sexy ass car and is almost always working overtime. Now at the party, they were playing some serious Nigerian jams and the girls and I were just killing it on the dancefloor… I’m talking that konko below and shina peters stuff… it was so live. I’d already given Irabor my number by this time… so I’m not sure if that’s the reason he felt justified in trying to claim me on the dancefloor…
I don’t play that… I’m not yours till I say I am(AND I DON’T!!!)


I told him off… but he was nice enough to bring me home two weeks ago when I finished doing my hair at 2am.

Still, that doesn’t make us cool enough for him to suddenly decide that because my mom was out of town, it was his moral duty to try to come and sleep over at my house and ‘keep me company’… blanket slash bodyguard buruku!!! guardian angel oshi!!!

Seeing as I’ve lived there for over 5 years of my life without a complaint, I was pretty sure I could cope without him… and told him that.
He apologized.


You can imagine my surprise when instead of the movie he was supposed to take me out to later that week, he asked me if he could come over so we could chill and watch Nigerian movies in my house.

...this obsession with coming to my house...
Now dude is either clueless, purposefully forgetful, stingy or broke… no thanks to any of the above!


3) Tyrone: I actually met him about 3 months ago when he came to pick up my close friend Ayo who’d slept over at my house the night before. Oh my gosh this boy is fine!!!(any finer and he’d actually be cuter than me.. and we all know Overwhelmed doesn’t date guys who are cuter than her… lol... and please don't take that as inference that i'm fine... I make no such claims) He’s Jamaican, 23, lightskinned and the tallest dude I ever met in my life(outside professional basketballers of course) at about 6ft 8. it seems horribly tall I know… but I think it’s just hot to have to crane your neck to talk to someone… I’m 5ft 11 and almost always in 3 inch heels which puts me at about 6ft1… so that almost never happens.

So yes as I was saying, from the moment he saw me, he commented on how tall I was… and how he hardly ever saw girls who are my height and cute. Although he was 'very interested' and sexy as hell, I was in a relationship at the time, so I just gave a polite smile and walked back into my house.

My friend Ayo recently told me that the entire time since he met me, Tyrone has been going on and on about me… wanting to see me... or talk to me… or take me out… something. I thought that was cute cos to be honest, fine as he was, he never came to my mind after the day I first met him.

Lately my friend started going on and on about him… and how he liked me and was always asking about me… so I just decided for the fun of it… to let him have my number(through her of course).

Ayo called me about 5 minutes after to tell me that when she’d called him, Tyrone had been out somewhere and didn’t have a pen to take down my number… that he wanted me to call him so my number could register on his phone… and he could call me right back.


Na craze?!?! Emi overwhelmed… call so my number could register on his phone… Jamaican Jirrafe
(lol.. yes I do realize it’s supposed to be a G) chop witch?! na me dey find am abi na him dey find me? Shioooo… even if na tyrese gon gon self.. e never reach me like that.. them dey find fine boys? Make we hear better word jare... no be today breast dey inside bra
I no call or register anything oh… some guys are really comedians… Registration ko… open callation ni!

4) Allen: I met him about a week ago and we’re always calling each other at the wrong time. He’s alright so far… I think we’re supposed to do something this weekend or so.


I’m still not really doing anything other than going for dinners and having interesting conversations with some interesting people…
which is neither here nor there...


Now here's what I want to know...

Perhaps some new dating rules have emerged in the past 11 months that I don’t know about.
I know the members of my blog family are always on top of things…
care to share?!

45 comments:

Anonymous said...

when is your next installment of "Mummy Sunday"?

Kafo said...

i know i am NOT the first

okay
i like the first guy. yeah yeah yeah, he is a bit too eager but still don't u want to spend the rest of your life with ah guy who is totally sprung all of the time over u?

but then again, it is not like u r looking for a hubby so yeah i guess giraffe might hold some appeal but he is from the carribean so doesn't that bring back memories.

i'm not feeling Overtime guy, he obviously DOES NOT know the rules SERIOUSLY.

good luck

have a fun
that is what really matters at the end of the day

Favoured Girl said...

Na wah o, you must be hot. Guys are really "popping out of the woodwork" LOL. Sorry o, I can't offer any tips since I'm not in the dating scene myself. I'm only commenting cos this post made me laugh. Tee hee....

azuka said...

I should imagine dating has absolutely no rules. As Mr. Fineboy would say, all your guys seem to have a bit of 'scoin scoin.'

Vixen said...

Noooo, it's not just you. I think it's something in the water. Or the weather. It seems that peeps are getting bolder and bolder nowadays...I like how you just laid down the law. You've gotta start it from the beginning or else he will run rugshood over you. On the other hand, you might want to chill and not be so sharp, you never know whose head will come correct the next time.

Bitchy said...

Oh my GOD am I first? Aaaah!!!

Bitchy said...

Oops okay perhaps I wasn't. I forgot you had the blog owner approval thing. Dammit! I feel like such an idiot. But anyway... "blanket slash bodyguard buruku!!! guardian angel oshi!!!"

And you tell me I'M funny? This girl, you are hilarious!!! And such ATTITUDE? Nawa. I need to take a leaf outta that book now that I'm back with the singletons. But one step at a time abi? You've had 11 months, I've had 7 hours :) Xxx

Linda Ikeji said...

There are no rules in dating. Just follow your heart and stay positive. Goodluck

mack said...

Am I first-- *losing my breath*

Keep playing it simple, like you are. My kind'a girl.

You don't have to look too far-- there're always dude in your wood-work. Just bang a lil harder and they'll keep popin'

Nigerican said...

Am i first or is it this damn comment moderator thing fooling me again. Anywho i'm glad u're meeting peeps, i've just been sooo occupied with school, but girl once this semester is ova it'll be ON!!! I hope nothing has changed in the dating world. I sooo know what i want in a guy now and i sure as hell aren't gonna settle for less. Kisses babes and i'll be bck after my last final next week YEAH!!!!!! A beg have fun on u're date this weekend.

foxynaija26 said...

lol, overwhelmed u r crazy. well i should know about these dating rules, as me and my boyfriend just started dating, but coneventional dating rules have never applied to me, and now that i think about it, you as well. take it easy, roll with thpunch, have some fun, there are good guys out there,none as cute as u,lol and none as stupid as irabor.lol

laspapi said...

Storm,
When it feels right, then it probably is. Don't be rushed. Am I first? Do I get a return ticket to Canada?

nameless.poetical. said...

1st things 1st, never compromise.
2ndly, choose carefully cos most guys tend to be nice in d beginning and grow horns after one night spent together...
3rdly, if you have dat nagging feelin in ur gut dat sum1 get k-leg (not physically, but, u kno...k-leg) run!
no, really, run.
one final thing. love tends to hit you when you most unexpect it. trust me...
gud luck...

joke said...

no the dating world has changed,d men out there r like parking spaces d good ones are gone and d available ones are disabled

Mad Soul said...

um.... wat about Gbenga, Sule, Chukwu, Dayo, Sunday and Ibrahim???


when're u gonna tell us about theM?

P.S
sowwy about last night, i fell asleep... u kno me and my sleeping sickness


oya now, tell us about the rest of the men.

Nyemoni said...

Frad I don't know the new rules of engagement are when dating, but I'm willing to learn from my fellow bloggers...

Uzo said...

Emm...LOL...There are no rules my dear..Just go with how you feel and go at your own pace jare...

fluffycutething said...

Check London Chameleon's blog. She has some 'keep them keen' tips on one of her previous posts...

They're really something...

Enjoy the tirade of toasters oh while they last!!!(lol)

Jade said...

lol overwhelmed! i laughed so much when i read this.

i don't think there are new rules to dating o! and nothing has changed really?

to answer your question - IS IT YOU? Yeah i think the issue lies with you. you are just not ready to get involved in that sort of way, so basically you can't be bothered when anyone comes along, whether na jamaican jiraffe o, or not. LOL!

It's ok girl! take your time and enjoy being single for now. it'll help you rediscover yourself more.

nice post as always.

exschoolnerd said...

Has it really been that long? 11months???? they all seem kool sha but have one scoin-scoin or the other...which one r u really feeling..lerus know.

Emily said...

I guess its hard to come across guys these days that arent interested in "tapping that". Even if they like you genuinely they feel like the only way to show that is to get physical immediately. You gotta show them that you are more than that...if they want the goods the gotta put in work and time first!

I've have been in the dating scene until recently and that the way they all are mehn...they aint changed...just gotten bolder...haha

Good luck choosing!

Simply Gorgeous said...

Overwhelmed- you and your toasters are hilarious. I don't know anything about dating right now. I have been out of the loop for a while now. My friends however, always tell me men are very forward now wanting to sleep with women on the first date. Who does that? I don't care no one is hitting anything until I am either married or after 6 months. I know , extreme. But if you love me enough as you say, then you should wait until I am ready whenever that is.

It also seems to me that you have an attraction to Jamiacan men(smile)....

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@Anonymous: it has been a while hasn’t it… I’ll probably put one up this week…I’ve been meaning to… but I guess I haven’t even really been blogging that much lately… plus it sort of takes me a lot to write a mummy Sunday.(memories memories… but I’ll write one soon… promise)

@Kafo: lol…. You are a psychic among many things… spending the rest of my life ke? Not looking for that yet oh… I’m 21. number one’s alright… but he was way too forward… I’m not down with any of that… first date… homeboys talking about wanting to play with me and make me feel good… like what the hell?!did I tell him I was feeling bad before abi I look like a teddy bear… play ko… dance ni! Jirraffe is a hottie… but I don’t call no guy… e no matter as e fine or nice reach… that one na barbash! Lol… overtime is just that…overtime… no thanks! You self… when are you going to update your blog self?

@Favoured Girl: lol… hot for where? Who dash me?!?! But you’re right sha… once a girl becomes single… na so we dey see am… ahh married lady… you can’t even be giving me dating tips self… don’t worry if I been want marry(in xxx years… lol… I’ll come to you for some advice).

@Azuka: lol… it shouldn’t… should it?

@Vixen: lol… I think you might be right… I mean the nerve of these dudes.. and I’m sure there’s even more they have to say… I mean you just met me… be a gentleman… I don’t play any of that my dear… we’ll see what happens sha… what the season brings

zaiprincesa said...

babes,
enjoy this time. I know its easier said than done...and sometimes, the loneliness and longing will creep in (yes,, im speaking for myself..lol).
But then i look at the positive side of things...I am enjoying getting to know ME, on my terms..Im not compromising myself for anyone. Yes i would love to find that "one" and be in love again and all..but i was in a long term relationship and i was used to defining myself in relation to my boyfy...but now, I am DOING ME, Eating what i want, Going to places ive always wanted to go to, Wearing what i want to wear, spending my money the way i want to..ON MYSELF!!!..styling my hair the way i want to, AND LOOKING FABULOUS AT THAT!!!..lol, basically, im being selfish, and loving ME!!!..and im enjoying it..cus i know it wont always be like this, especially if there is someone else in my life that i have to consider...

So, my point is, enjoy this time..use it to catch trips and LOVE U!! Do you, mami!

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@Bitchy: lol… you’re not first so you miss the fantastic prize of my egg stew and rice(it actually tasted good.. lol). You’re single… I need to come and read up oh… seems there are new developments in the life of you and big… 7 hours?! Shioo… I dey come now now

@Linda Ikeji: thanks mami…

@Mack: lmao@loosing your breath… e don tey oh.. I’ve missed you… where have you been? I hope say one babe never detain for somewhere dey make you write proses and romantic ballads for am… that kind thing… oh the dudes are there… I’m just not *****

@Nigerican: lol… not first oh… unfortunately… awww… goodluck with your exams angel… I feel you on the knowing what you want in a guy… you deserve the best my dear… hope you’re enjoying the good weather…

@foxynaija26: lol… my hiphop fireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Mogbe na your oju be this?!?! I’m bringing out the pammy… and isi-ewu… we go celebrate am… in fact I wouldn’t mind one ‘blonde hair and blue eyes’ right now… lmao… you should’ve seen the gorgeous one that was sha smiling at me today… I guess I have to ‘mentally condition’ myself for that levels…(my psychic powers are off the hinges right now)

@papi: your gift… is a big big smile… big big big smile… the kind I never do on print.

@nameless poetical: spoken like a true man in love… lmao… thanks sha my dear… I just dey chill man… no hurries or worries… and even physical k-leg self.. I no want…but bow-legs.. now bow-legs are an entirely different story!(sexy as hell!!!)

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@joke: lol.. I like that one… permission to use it?

@madsoul: damn you this girl!!! Lol… which gbenga? If you have some confessions to make… just come here and make it instead of using me to front and now be mentioning all your boy-toys names… but sule?! That kind name… I don’t know oh… he sounds like a razzo! You truly do have sleepingsickness… but its no problem.. I was up all night oh doing laundry and speaking to my best friend… he was giving me some serious jokes/trips… man… he’s a dirty bastard… love him to death… if I can remember em later… I’ll share.

@Nyemoni: lol… married women don’t know the dating rules anymore oh… kosi problem… when me self I get the clue… I go forward am to you…

@Uzo: I will… thanks mami… I just wanted to be sure oh that a new manual hadn’t come out that I’d neglected to read… so now that I know… we’re good to go(damn… I’m rhyming seriously oh… foxy brown… I’m coming after your crown… lol)

@fluffycutething: ah I will chekkirout… I need to know this stuff… lol@tirade of toasters… that’s a different way to put it

@jade: you might be right there… you just might be. But don’t worry my dear… I’m good… thanks for dropping by

@exschoolnerd: lol@scoin-scoin... First azuka now you… is this the new term to describe something somewhat k-legged?! Me I’m not really feeling anyone sha… Jamaican Jirraffe probably would’ve been my preference… but him too doo… but no worry… I will update you as we go along

Naija Vixen said...

A mixture of the good bits of the first guy and the third wuld be perfect!!! forget rules,enjoy urself...sun's out!!!or almost anyway... ;-)

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@zaiprincesa: I completely feel you babe… you are on point… as always

@Naija Vixen: lol… don’t we all wish we could mix in bits and pieces… but me o bother rara… I’m having fun and taking in the awesome awesome spring weather(the only problem is I have to go and get me some sunblock asap… my skin tans like no tomorrow in the summer… I always say I’m an Italian girl stuck in a Nigerian body(in the summer at least)

Andy said...

But that Jamo boy really giraffe gaaaan! In height and in attitude.
Choosing between the others is a difficult task, but I think you should go for the first....at least he resemble Popsie.
Thanks for making me laff! Good post.

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@Andy: lol… you’re funny… my dear… if number 1 resemble popsie.. in my eyes that’s no great feat.. glad you liked the post sha… thanks for dropping by…

Mari said...

good for u ONB. enjoy the attention but don't let it get to ure head as well. go out and have fun, it doesn't hurt to have a few crazy moments.

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@Mari: ahh you know me better than that now mari… get to my head ke?! No be today leg dey inside shoe… attention no start today… I’m just a little open to it now that I’m single… I am having fun… even more with my friends… and the weather of course…

CandySprinkles said...

Lol! Nah men - there are no rules. Just do you. Rules tend to complicate straight-forward situations. If ya feeling him, ya feeling him and you should go for it. If not, then politely ask him to fade into the darkness.
Lol@Joke's post. Men are like parking spaces. That's a good one.
XX

Spook E said...

I say why try to settle, date until you bele full, wetin!

This allen i bet is another drive-by. just check him out see what he's about, one wierd move, out he goes, in comes Tom, Dick and/or Harry.Lets keep it moving.

The Mistress said...

They all sounds kinda good to me...take 'em all for a "test drive" and pick the winner!


:-)

The shopaholic. said...

Dating tips:- N/A!

LOL

Ok really:

1. Try to organize your own way ot getting back and forth if you don't feel very comfortable with him. (Allen, I assume? ;) )

2. If he doesn't hold the door open and wait for you to walk in before him, take off 5 cool points. Sorry, Gentlemen still have to exist now.

3. If he asks you to for your share of the money to pay y'alls bill on the first date, then he gotta go! LOL

4. At the end of the night when he drops you off, if he zooms off without waiting to see that you got in safely, subtract another 5 cool points.

5. And ultimately,trust your instincts

dolly said...

just follow your heart

Confused Naija Girl said...

I dont think there are any rules for thecrazy world of dating. JUsthave your fun because it seems like you are.

Discombobulated Diva said...

Things haven't change in the dating scene.. u just haven't met the proper guy yet... trust me i feel like i've seen it all with guys and their craziness... but once you find a nice guy, he'll step up and treat you right...

I would think about giving the Jamaican guy a chance...

~DD

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@Candysprinkles: lol@politely asking guys to fade into the darkness… I feel you!

@Spook E: lmao@dating until I belleful… that kind thing… my dear which one concern me jare… anything that’s not conducive… has gotta go!

@The Mistress: lmao@test drive… mistress are you saying what I think you’re saying? Lol…

@The shopaholic: perfect… so this means that the dating rules from 2004, 2005 and 2006 still apply… I’m good to go then… lol… I’m glad you guys have cleared this up for me… thanks

@dolly: I will… thanks mami… hope you’re doing good

@confusednaijagirl: oh yes I am oh… I definitely am…

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@Discombolated: lol… they’re all nice guys(I guess)… maybe just not nice for me… but we’ll see… I will update you… hope you doing good mami… it’s been a while

Biodun said...

lol, babe ur hot o, only u n all these guys, I dey jealous, lol. On the real I have no tips babe, just have fun jere n u seem to be handling it all well anyways! Funny post

Vickii said...

Hun, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you but guys are just as complicated and silly and frustrating and sometimes annoying as they were 11 months ago ... but there are some good ones out there, at least you've got a few to pick from!

Enjoy and keep us updated on the guy situation!

honey said...

hey babe,its not you, its the selfish guys out there.they are afraid of the new breed of no nonsense ladies coming out.they think it is so easy to get a girl.continue with your way no shaking the right dude is on his way.

Daddy's Girl said...

All I can say is LOL at 'igbo head'!!