Saturday, May 05, 2007

Dreams

For years, I thought I’d lost the ability to dream. I slept at night and woke up in the morning with no memory of the inbetween.

I recaptured that recently… Now I dream.

The good thing about this is that I no longer feel like my world stops the moment I close my eyes… and the bad part is that it all started again… with a nightmare.

A nightmare centered around one person…

My Father.

Three weekends ago, I dreamt that my sister Fire and I were at the family house in my fathers village (I guess mine too if you want to get specific about it). He was wearing white and we probably were too. He was showing us off, smiling…

“Oh these are my daughters… Overwhelmed and Fire”

“Say hi to Overwhelmed and Fire”

“Yes my daughters are back… finally”

Then for some strange reason his grip on my shoulders started getting tighter and tighter… he started sort of ‘run-walking’ us to his room (which as dreams go wasn’t his room in the village house, but the ‘city house’… I know… try explaining dream logic).

Anyways there’s this look he always has right before he beats the living daylights out of you… or does something you won’t forget in a hurry… this evil… really mean look.

He had that look

He continued ‘push-walking’ us and my heart started beating really fast… I knew something bad was going to happen.

Instinctively, I knew not to go in his room without alerting my mom… I started screaming her name

Mommy!

Mommy!!

Mommy!!!

She couldn’t hear me… I think

I screamed louder

Mommy!!!!

Mommy!!!!!

A faint yes… then YES

“Mommy our dad’s taking us into his room” I yelled out in panic

Then he pushed me in, took out a really long leather belt

I couldn’t breathe… and right before he laid the first whip on me…

I woke up

*I immediately told my mom about it. She suggested we just pray… and we did.*

See the matter would’ve just ended there… but my sister Fire came home the next weekend… and what she told me gave me instant chills especially considering the fact that my mother and I hadn’t even told her about my dream at the time.

She’d had a nightmare… and once again, it centered around one person…

My Father.

In Fire’s dream, we’d been at a party. Our father had looked larger than life… taller, bigger… scarier. He’d had a weapon in his hands… she couldn’t quite recall what it was.

Somehow, he’d caught sight of me and rushed forward and started punching and hitting me. He’d lifted me up… I kept coughing and kicking and resisting, but he’d held on to my neck with his large hands.

Fire said no one helped… the crowd just looked on… so she ran up to him to jump and kick and bite him but he flung her away time and again.

Apparently, at this point my eyes started bulging out of their sockets… he dropped me.

He had that same look on his face… Fire was somehow sure he was going to kill me…

He picked up his weapon to strike me…

And Fire woke up.

Fire told my mom and I this dream and I felt cold … no one in my family is a dream expert but this just seemed a bit too much to chalk up to coincidence. In the space of two weeks… two dreams by two sisters… all having to do with one man… and my safety.

We went to church on Sunday.

After the service, we went into to see my mom’s pastor for some prayers…

Frankly, I don’t understand any of it… but my heart and hands are clean so my God will fight for me. “Any weapon fashioned against me shall not prosper”. AMEN!!!

31 comments:

DiAmOnD hawk said...

so much can be revealed to us in a dream. so yes... weapons will be fashioned... but NONE shall prosper in Jesus' Amen. You're covered in the Blood of Jesus! It is well babe!!!

omo-obanta said...

WOW!! pray o, i will add you to my prayer list hmm?
take care

Orientatednaijababe said...

You are covered by the blood of Jesus ....the Devil is a liar..

Stay strong in prayer

Naija Sapphire said...

Amen - no weapon fashioned against you shall prosper. The devil is a liar.

Ugo Daniels said...

Hmmmm...wat a dream(s). well, good thing you guyz prayed over it.

It doesnt necessarily mean someones after ya life or abt to harm yu or otherwise.

temmy tayo said...

Babes, what can i say but AMEN to your prayers. It is well with your soul and that of your sis and mother.

Naija Vixen said...

God is your shelter and protector,he will keep you from all harm...i will keep u in my prayers

In my head and around me said...

Like you said, your hands are clean. You have nothing to be worried about.

Calabar Gal said...

AMEN!!

Kafo said...

Hmmmm.
May God continue to protect you. My mom dreams and over the years I have learnt to take them seriously.
Protection and peace on you. God will send his angels to keep charge over you day and nite.
hmmm
Peace

racquelle-cutie said...

Amen,i think you guyz should fast or do midnight prayers it helps a lot and also have faith that nothing will happen to you or any of your loved ones

chidi said...

AMEN! just keep praying & everything will go well

AN IBO DUDE'S CORNER said...

i will include you in my prayers too. its well with you. there is no way God wont answer if all who read your blog pray for you. take care and have faith, God is with you. Cheers!!!!

Uzo said...

Hmm....You have prayed of course. Could it be that your dad is in some kind of danger? Maybe the dream is to give you guys enough of a fright to start thinking about him? Maybe a step towards forgiveness and closure. Dreams are not always literal you know.

I would urge that you guys pray for the true meaning of the dream to be revealed to you in addition to praying for protection.

omohemi Benson said...

NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO YOU!
I will be praying with you,be prayful too ok.

Discombobulated Diva said...

Will keep you in prayers...
but have no worries... you'll be protected by God... Take care

~DD

Idemili said...

Ami! Ise!

BOBBY said...

No weapon fashioned against you, your mom or sister shall ever prosper...
AMEN.

LonelierThanAkon said...

O-girl,

Abeg no dey stress yourself.

It is just what it is; two dreams with a similar theme, nothing more.

I think it was Carl Jung that said dreams are the by product of the subconscious and the conscious mind working on suppressed memories abi emotions or something like that.

Please don’t take a superstitious posture on this. The extra worry aint necessary.

Anonymous said...

nice blog! you should read stella damasus' blog really good too. check it out
http://stelladamasus.blogspot.com/

Jaycee said...

My darling ONB...I just saw this.

You just quoted the best scripture about what God says concerning His children. You are His child if you believe,so just to reiterate the Word of God again (to cause the devil to flee in seven directions), I will join you to say that, "NO WEAPON fashioned against you shall PROSPER." And no weapon can DARE to even try it...

As a child of God, FEAR is not ur portion...fear NOT dear! Lets watch out for God to show up on ur behalf...

The shopaholic. said...

Ehnnnnnn????
I CANCEL AND REJECT!!!!
Overwhelmed, all is well and No weapon formed against you shall prosper. I no dey go church o, but for you I will babe. Just say the magic word.
*hugs*

i hope say everything dey ok sha.

Soul said...

Aburo,
I've read this over and over again..
If you are anything like me, you have an over active imagination and the things we haven't dealt with during the day find different ways of sneaking into our subconcious at night.

Breathe easy.. just breathe...
You have escaped the monster, no matter what he can't get you anymore.

LurLar said...

Amen!!! "The Lord is ur light and ur salvation; whom shall u fear? The Lord is the stronghold of ur life; of whom shall u be afraid?" Like Uzo,nd Ugo has said: That might not be the actual meaning. Like the Yoruba adage goes:" dream fools" When u think it means something,it might be the other way round. Take care!!!

9jamommy said...

wow! that's really scary....I'm sure nothing's going to happen but, you'll be in my prayers (when I do remember to say them)..

princess said...

First time out here and i like what i see. To the dreams dear, i believe in the potency of dreams beiing a dreamer myself but no need to get alarmed. They say a problem discovered is half solved, for the fact the dream was revealed to u and ur sis, its a good sign. All u need to do is pray and cancel every evil plan against you and it wont come to pass in Jesus name.
Take care. Check out my page too, will appreciate it.

Everyone Loves a Naija Girl said...

Oh wow! I will keep you in my prayers, stay strong.

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@DiamondHawk: That is so true… Amen for your prayers

@Omo-obanta: thanks mami… I will
@Orientated: Amen oh

@NaijaSapphire: Amen

@Ugo: I don’t understand it.. just wanted to say a little prayer just in case it actually meant something…

@Temmytayo: Amen

@NaijaVixen: thanks mami

@In my head and around me: exactly what my moms pastor said… but to pray just in case

@Calabar Gal: Amen oh my sister

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@Kafo: Amen for that prayer

@racquelle: I agree… thanks

@chidi: thanks

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

Abeg una no vex… I really appreciate everyones prayers and kind thoughts so I’m gonna say a general Amen and thanks to all yall… I’m not sitting home scared or anything… it was just a very weird thing that we thought to take to God in prayer since we didn’t understand it… I mean the chances of my sister and I dreaming about the same thing without ever having told each other about our personal dreams… all around the same time…. But yeah God is in control!

Kpakpando said...

I'm not going to say anything to make the wheels of your mind turn further, but you did a good thing sharing the dream with your mother then praying. Keep praying and remain aware, I dream plenty and its really a way God forces me to pay attention to the things I overlook in my everyday life. If you believe in coincidences then take it as that, otherwise continue to pray and ask God to reveal the true meaning to you.