Sunday, March 18, 2007

Life in a song 3

I can love you like that by All-4-One brings to mind my first ‘chewing gum’ boyfriend Raul D. It reminds me of puppy love and na├»ve infatuation… of honest romance and heart-felt friendship… of roses and ribena … of short skirts and sloppy first kisses.

It reminds me of holding hands and checking to see if other people noticed… of ‘branching’ at his house on my way to the market… of wanting to tell the whole world he loved me… but still keep him to myself.

‘I can love you like that’ was the song he sang so beautifully in his rich baritone that I could almost face the fear and hatred at home… thinking of him created a safe place, a shelter… ‘my haven’. In this time, I was proud to be “Raul’s girl”… I was shy if he saw me eat… when we took pictures together, I’d be too shy to actually look at them… it was so difficult for me to stare into his eyes…

The song reminds me of the time when Raul was suspended for a month for fighting and I still didn’t leave him even though Lekan and Brian tried everything possible to make me do just that. It reminds me of the times I was reluctant to meet his mother cos she’d just know immediately that I adored her son… the times I touched his face just to see how someone this beautiful inside and out could be that into me…

This song reminds me of the purest relationship I was ever in… it was beautiful and sweet and innocent… it was my sanctity… my sanity.




'I can love you like that’
reminds me of the time I burnt my skirt on purpose so I could cut it short and Jimmy could see my beautiful legs. It reminds me of the numerous times I took money from my dad for non-existent lab projects and spent the money and time transporting to see Jimmy… to have him sing to me and hold me tight. It takes me back to a time when I dressed for Jimmy… I didn’t want him to see me in the rags my father bought… so I spent some of the ‘lab’ money on short skirts and changed under our stairs before I went out… and changed back into the rags when I got home. The song reminds me of my ‘near-heart-attack’ when my fathers car drove past me one Saturday on my way from Jimmy’s house in my navy blue mini-skirt.

I loved that he felt jealous anytime I danced with any other guy at our end of the year parties… I also knew what to say to make him smile.

I can love you like that’ reminds me of the warmth of the smile of a guy who likes you without boundaries…

{I'm sorry if you tried to leave a comment yesterday and couldn't... i mistakenly put in a dont allow comments thingy... but it's been fixed now}

22 comments:

Kafo said...

This is adorable
I am wondering, why can't it be like this?
What can't the real adult relationship inspire this mushyness?
Why do we have to get disillusioned?

doragon said...

omg! this is so freaking sweet.

You know how it is the first couple of months when you meet someone. Why can it stay like that for ever. Why does everything have to change?

Puppy love is the best. How sweet it is.

Waffarian said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwn, so sweet, my own innocent days were filled with Boys2men.....end of the road used to fuck me up big time!

Calabar Gal said...

Puppy love - so sweet. Those songs really did touch various 'nerves' in me those days. Those days?!?!? Even up till now LOL!!

chidi said...

sweeeeeeeet!!!!! nice blog

UnNaked Soul said...

hmmmm... *sigh*

can i kiss someone... please...

UnNaked Soul said...

hmmmm *sigh*

can I kiss someone... please....

Idemili said...

I don't know if I ever had innocent days...

chika said...

Hey birthday mate,this post is soooooo real!it really got me going down memory lane.

omo naija said...

awwwlove can be sweet sometimes sha!

omo naija said...

love can be sweet sometimes sha!

Freaky Deaky said...

I take it your father didn't see you that day.

Puppy love, the love that everyone but the people in it mock and ridicule. Those were the days.

Idemili said...

Unnaked, you can kiss me if you want. I kinda feel sorry for you after the duplicate post.

LondonBuki said...

Eya...

You BURNT your skirt ke? LOL!!!!

zaiprincesa said...

me likey that song!!!..lol...takes me back...way back...hmm, also love "i swear"

Jem said...

Was Jimmy ur first boyfriend? seems like he really meant a lot to you. That's so cute

bimbylads said...

cute.. those days .. kai.. when u had no worry in the world.. kai.. sweeet sweeet days.. lol. OWNB.. u brought back some memories out of me there meen! when my first BF used CANDYRAIN to toast me.. LOLL

Maiden Voyage said...

That was too sweet. Sniff. Made me think of my first BF...goodness seems like a lifetime away. We only used to hold hands and send sweet notes to each other in class. The first time we danced was to "End of the road" by Boyz II Men. Memories.....nice one overwhelmed. xxx

yankeenaijachick said...

love is such a beatiful thing. l can imagine how u feel. I hope u are doing good.

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@Kafo: I think we loose some of that innocence with ‘maturity’… what a shame eh… wow and you’re first today oh… today is great… you get to listen to beyonce’s new song with me… ‘lost your mind’… it’s so great.. its been on instant replay on my computer for hours

@doragon: I know exactly what you’re talking about it… the magic disappears when you get to see people and all their flaws and they get to see ours as well… yes… puppy love is beautiful for however long it lasts… I don’t think I’ve ever been on your blog before… I’ll check it out!

@ Waffarian: lol… I loved me some boys2men… you’re even bringing me memories self…. End of the road was just the shiznit… man the one with the deep voice used to give me shivers and the one with the sweet voice was just such a cutie… man memoriessssssss

@CalabarGal: lol… they’re still as sweet now especially when you remember how young and innocent you were back when you used to listen to em

@Chidi: Thanks luv… for coming by and watnot… I’ll check your blog out when I have a minute and in the meantime… I’m going to sing you my welcome song here cos I think this is your first time… “Konko below… below… below”… lol

@Unnaked Soul: scroll down… idemili has an offer you couldn’t possibly refuse… I just hope zee doesn’t get on my case for ‘aiding and abetting’ cheating on my blog oh… so abeg check with her first before you take idemili up on her offer… lol…

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@Idemili: I didn’t have too many of those innocent days… probably why I cherish them so much… mami before you go ahead to kiss unnaked please oh check with ms zee oh cos me I don’t want her to sue me for emotional busybody and entanglement… lol…

@Chika: Ahhh.. fellow aquarian… how now babe? Going down memory lane can be great sometimes can’t it…

@Omo Naija: babe I’ve missed you oh I’m glad you’re back abeg… please I hope you have much gist for me oh… otherwise na blog war oh…

@Freaky Deaky: lol…. I’m so lucky… I’m not sure he did… cos he never said anything and knowing my dad… if he had seen me… he would’ve killed me… yes oh… those were really the days… before you turned all freaky deaky… hehe… I just hope you weren’t one of the boys throwing coins on the floor to be able to look under girl skirts… lol…. I bet you did!

@LondonBuki: yes oh… I used iron to burn the bottom part cos it was sooo bloody long…almost at my ankles imagine the nonsense… so after I burnt it… they cut it off and I had myself a mini-skirt and was looking cute with the rest of them… hehe…

@Zaiprincesa: isn’t it just great… how was your weekend angel… I’ve missed you… I swear was the shiznit too…

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@Jem: yeah… jimmy was my first boyfriend… such a beautiful person… I really wish I could see him again…

@Bimbylads: lol@candyrain… una love takes the cake… hehe… stuff like that seems so cheesy now but at the time… damn it was smoking hot… lol

@ Maiden Voyage: mami long time no see… I hope you’re alright… I remember the holding hands and sending notes… it’s a beautiful thing isn’t it… man I loved the song end of the road too.. but babe you been dey dance to that song… I hope you weren’t doing running man to it oh… lol…

@Yankeenaijachick: it is a beautiful thing… I’m alright oh… just been here and there for the past couple of days but I’m back in full swing… I’ll stop by your blog in a bit and see what you’ve been up to… take care sweetness