Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Aunty H

Ordinarily I wouldn’t write this seeing as I never really knew Aunty H when she was healthy, but my mom told me something yesterday that was so heartbreaking I cried.

You see Aunty H died about 2 years ago of lung cancer. She was one of my mom’s closest friends and business associates.

I never knew her healthy because she started her long and drawn out battle with cancer a few months after we arrived in Canada. Thank God she had her family to support her throughout the ordeal. I never saw a man love a woman as much as Aunty H’s husband did her. Uncle B not only satisfied all her needs… he anticipated them. It was so hard seeing him try to remain strong even as her condition deteriorated week after week and the life slowly ebbed out of her.

My mom cried every time she went to visit.

Aunty H’s spirit was so strong… I mean she lost almost 60 pounds but still believed she’d get better. She couldn’t even breathe on her own and was plugged into an oxygen machine but never gave up hope.

She had two children Lisa and James. James is a big hockey fanatic, so as long as there is ice and a hockey puck, he’s happy. Lisa’s about my age. When her mom was alive, they used to argue all the time cos Lisa was into clothes and boys and more clothes and more boys. Lisa is a daddy’s girl so the only reprimands she ever got were from her very strong willed no-nonsense Jamaican mother.

What made me cry last night was when my mom told me about Aunty H’s burial. Apparently, Lisa had been in shock. She never made a sound but tears kept streaming down her face. She couldn’t believe her mom was dead… her strong willed mother… her no-nonsense mother…

She wouldn’t let them take Aunty H away… she kept putting makeup on her mother. First she’d put on lipgloss, then she’d wipe it off and put on lipstick. Then she’d put on eyeshadow, then eyeliner… then clean it all off and put on mascara. Then she’d put blush on her Aunty H… She wanted her mom to look pretty…

All the while tears were streaming down Lisa’s face

………………….. and mine as my mom told me the heart-wrenching story

RIP Aunty H… I hope you’re in a better place.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, its MadSoul
this is upseting...
now i'll go and read it ;)

Nyemoni said...

sawry... this is so so sad....

chika said...

Life is filled with certain circumstances that break our hearts but we must stay strong,pray and remain hopeful cos its the only way out.

..........Is it me or i'm the first comment?Hurray!

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

This was very touching o!!! i hope Lisa is better now sha.

Oh MY God hol on am i first!!!!!

Calabar Gal said...

May her soul rest in peace. I'm sure she'll be fondly missed by her family and friends.

Waffarian said...

Yeah......sorrow.....feels like you are in a hole that is getting deeper and deeper and there is no one to pull you out cos they don't know how deep you've fallen. Poor girl, must be really tough, but one day, it will be better.
RIP, Aunty H!

Jaycee said...

May she R.I.P...what I usually say is that God knows best...He knows those things we do not know...

May God continue to give their family "peace"

My Heart said...

Thats the thing...no matter how rebellious children are, they still have crazy love for their parents. I'm sure Lisa was just trying to be strong.

meemee said...

wtf.... what happened to my first comment.am getting upset.....

chainreader said...

That is so sad. Death is difficult to understand.

Lost Soul said...

this is why people need to learn to value life. When my grandmother died I lay right next to her body and wouldn't let them take her away.

Naijadude said...

This is so sad! Pele

londonnaijachic said...

life!So short.Hope lisa and the rest of her family are coping better.

Idemili said...

Awwww. Makes you wonder about all the stupid arguments we have with people who are close to us. Hope she is in a better place.

Eagle's Nest!!! said...

May her soul rest in perfect peace. We can't do anything to avert death but we can prepare for the life here-after and the only Way to do that is written in John 14:6.

laspapi said...

Everyman's death diminishes me...

AbujaBabe said...

R.I.P Aunty H..
Very Sad..
I Totally understand.. a Death of a loved one Can hurt deep and leave you looking for answers and empty!!..
Sorry..xxx

boorish male said...

This is so sad!!

Kafo said...

blessings and peace to her family

omohemi Benson said...

Sad story,
I pray GOD gives Lisa and her family strength to carry on.

LondonBuki said...

May she RIP... this is so heartwrenching...

Uzo said...

Amazing story here...And congratulations on your 100th post dear.

zaiprincesa said...

May her soul rest in peace....

BOBBY said...

Death is horrible...what i worry about is where imma end up on the other end.
May we all make heaven!

Naija Vixen said...

...sowwee...i hope Aunty H is Resting in peace

zeyi said...

Hey Girl long long time!
I know the felling. I lost my mom too and we were getting on each other's nerves just before we got into the car accident that lead to her death. It hurts me a lot to think that I mad had feel anything but love from me at any time in her life. That's why now, when I hear people complaining about their mom, I get mad, I wish I had my mom here. I dream about her all the time and wake up really depressed but life goes on.


.....ALSO.....
<3<3<3 that we love the <3 musicians i.e Sade, John, and them pretty cool

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

This story was just heart wrenching. I am sorry for your loss and the loss of Aunty H's family.

May her soul continue to rest in peace.