My best friend Sunshine’s birthday is next Friday. I want to have a surprise birthday party for her.
1) I’ve never thrown a party for anyone before(but she and another ‘friend’ had one for me before… so I kinda gotta… and actually want to)
2) I don’t know the first thing about throwing parties… I mean I know how to attend one… even make a splash there… but throwing one throws the hell out of m
3) I don’t know who to invite… my friends or hers, a combination of both?! How do I find out who she’d want there or not without her knowing what I’m planning. Should I go through her phone and just call the numbers there and tell them about it? Cos some of her friends from school don’t know me…. cos then I’d be going… Hi Tiffany… you don’t know me but I’m Overwhelmed… Sunshine’s best friend and I’m throwing a surprise birthday party for her on Friday. You gotta be there by 10pm before she gets in… interested?! (I’m honestly open to and actually asking for SUGGESTIONS… SO PLEASE HELP!!!)
4) What sort of food do I make… I want some suggestions so I can start organizing the people to make it (cos I make good pasta… just not ‘party pasta’… lol). So far I’m thinking fried chicken, fried meat, jollof rice/fried rice (or both). She’s Ghanaian, but I’m not sure if people would wanna eat ‘kenke’ or ‘banku’ in Gucci party outfits… lol. Need suggestions for appetizers.
5) For drinks I’m thinking tons of beer, Smirnoff ice, a few bottles of champagne. (Am I missing anything… keeping in mind I’m just a ‘poor student’… lol)
6) Is it better to have it at a mutual friends house cos if I planned it with her boyfriend and did it at their place… chances are… she might find out! And we certainly don’t want that!!!
7) Is it alright if I don’t have a dj? I’m kinda poor… lol… won’t really good speakers and tons of cd’s do? Except I can get her dj ex-boyfriend to do it… lol… but then I don’t know if she’d want him there!!!
8) What sort of cake should I get? Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, cheesecake? You’d probably say to buy the cake she likes most… but the thing is she doesn’t really eat cake… so I’d have to get something that the majority would like. What should the cake say… Happy Birthday Sexy Sunshine?!
9) How do I get her to the venue without alerting her suspicions? (Make her boyfriend tell her they’re going to pick up something from our friend’s place so he can take her to a romantic dinner for her birthday? I need something really believable so please help with this one…and it has to be a suggestion that would still make her look hot… lol cos I know her well enough to know that she would not love to be surprised looking ‘tired’… hehe. I mean half the fun is her having absolutely no clue about it!... lol… I just can’t wait to see the look on her face)
10) What present should I get her?
11) What should I wear? Lol
(Please I’m open to any party planning tips you can give me, suggestions for food, particular songs that I ‘just have to play’, what I can do to save some money but make it a really swell party cos she obviously deserves the best!)
Keep in mind her birthday is on Friday December 08… so I only have a few days to put everything together… so the earlier I hear stuff from y’all… the better… thanks.
Also remember the guests are going to be a mix of Nigerian, Ghanaian, Carribean… and probably a few non-blacks just to show we’re not all ‘Michael Richards’ up in that piece… lol.
Happy Birthday to my ex-friend Adesola in Lagos. We used to be close friends babe but when you started bad-talking me with Busayo cos I was doing better than you in physics class... you lost it. So I'm sorry when I'm coming back to Nigeria to visit... I'm not getting you 'American Shoes'. But in the meantime... Happy Birthday... I hope you're doing more with your 'physics' than I am...