Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Never Mind What You Thought I was: I AM CANADIAN

It’s been a truly great week or so and I’ve been so busy that I haven’t had time to blog or read through other peoples blogs… but I’m back. I crossed over to the other side (Niagara Falls) last weekend. I had the greatest time with my family… we were truly living it up. The falls starts off on the right side... mellow until it picks up speed and just becomes this force of nature... it's one of the most tranquil and beautiful settings i've ever been priviledged to see. I don't have words vivid enough to express this phenom... so I attached a few of the pictures I took there:








This is just awe- inspiring... I love just love nature... wish I lived there... I'd probably experience my entire life 'writing by the falls'... I’m actually thinking of giving up this whole Doctor Paracetamol business and pursuing my dream of becoming a full-time photographer at Niagara falls… lol (make my mama no hear that one).


I' M SOOOO HAPPY: I got my citizenship last week- I AM CANADIAN!!!


Take this quiz to find out how Canadian you are:


1. The title of Canada’s political leader is:

a. President b. Prime Minister c. Big Chief d. C.B.O


2. How are totem poles made?

a. they are grown from seeds b. they are carved by hand

c. crafted by trained woodpeckers d. liquid wood poured into a mold


3. What is an igloo made out of?

a. ice cream b. twigs and grass c. snow and ice d. Celine Dion Cd’s


4. Canadians speak English and…

a. French b. Canadese c. American d. Frenglish


5. The symbol on the Canadian flag is…

a. a ski-doo b. a moose c. Hockey Puck d. a maple leaf


6. Which word is Canada most famous for?

a. duhhhh b. eh c. right-o d. cheers


7. Which animal is Canada’s national symbol?

a. the beaver b. Bryan Adams c. Arctic Squirrel d. the platypus


8. Maple syrup is refined from what?

a. Beaver Milk b. Maple tree sap c. Lake Erie Sludge d. Screech


9. Wayne Gretzky is a famous…

a. Tap Dancer b. Dogsled Racer c. Singing Mountie d. Hockey Player


10. Canada’s official national sport is…

a. Snow shoeing b. Hockey c. Lawn Bowling d. Lacrosse

Answers:

1. b 2. c 3. c 4. a 5. d 6.b 7.a 8.b 9. d 10.d

Test Scores:

9-10: Congratulations, YOU are as Canadian as back bacon and Stanfield’s underwear.

5-8: Not bad… eh!

3-4: You should be set adrift on Lake Louise, in a canoe filled with Pierre Burton books.

0-2: Oh… YOU’RE AMERICAN


I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader....
I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled....
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a president.
I speak English and French, not American.
And I pronounce it 'about', not 'a boot'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, not policing,
diversity, not assimilation,
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch,
and it is pronounced 'zed' not 'zee', 'zed' !!!!

Canada is the second largest landmass!
The first nation of hockey!
and the best part of North America

My name is Overwhelmed and I am Canadian!!!


27 comments:

Azuka said...

Okay, I missed only one. Am I Canadian? No.

I've just been fascinated with Canada and Australia since I was little ;).

TP said...

Congrats girl on your citizenship. I'm sure you are still a Naija babe deep down....

Maureen said...

Actually there are two official sports in canada which is hockey and lacrosse so there are two answers to that question lol

anyways love ur blog and congratulations on getting ur citizenship!!!!!!!!

Calabar Gal said...

Congratulations Gal!!

Everchange said...

Congratulations! Citizenship is always good news. I got 8!! Not bad at all.

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@Azuka: Damn, dats pretty good… keep taking interest in all things Canadian… WE ROCK!!!

@Tp: Thanks babe… my dear I’m more Nigerian than I should be… lol

@Maureen: wow… I used to think it was hockey… but I found out it was lacrosse… but thanks for stopping by and 4 the info update

@CalabarGal: Thanks babe

@Everchange: Citizenship rocks!!! Wow… 8 is pretty good… so for the purposes of this blog… you’re a honorary Canadian

Naijadude said...

Hahahahh Jolene we suppose celebrate on your citizenship oh! Too bad I got to know about it on here eh? Dont worry flower delivery will follow anyways, if I know your new address that is. We still havent talked about your Niagara trip sha! Anyways congratulations ohhhhh!!!!!

nosa101 said...

Congratulations but i'd rather be a cockney :)

Vickii said...

Congratulations on your citizenship! I love Canada ... it's the country I want to settle down in!

Niagra falls looks amazing too ... I need to add it to my places to visit!

Noni Moss said...

Congratulations!

I've been to Niagara falls from the Canadian side too and it is really cool. Nice photos.

Uzo said...

Congratulations...It sounds like you're happy which is what matters...

Anonymous said...

Niagara falls looks so beaauriful...I WANT TO GO!!!...*sniff*...
seems like u had fun...
AND CONGRATS ON UR CITIZENSHIP!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you totally about Niagra Falls. I lived in Canada before and I was just 20 mins away from the falls. Most fridays, I take the bus to the Fall,just to stare at the cascading waters . Its amazing esp when the lights come on. I love Canada, its just a BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY! WIll be returning soon.


Ah...how can i forget TIm Hortons. We don't have here it in the UK. I really miss Canada now, thinking about it.

Congrats on your citizenship!!

NaijaBloke said...

Congrats on ur citizenship gurl and nice pics ...

adahope said...

Absolutley Awesome view! Congratulations.

Biodun said...

COngratulations on ur citizenship n great pics, now this makes me want to visit canada!

Beautifully Human said...

wow! awesome view! and congrats on your citizenship; so now you are naija-canadian. lol

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@Naijadude: babe I’m gonna call u tonight so we talk jare… I’ve been caught up in too many things… I’m sorry… I dey await my flowers oh

@Nosa: I am too… British-Nigerian- Canadian… whatever that means

@1982: yes ma’am… Niagara Falls ROCKS!!! But Canada ROCKS EVEN BETTER!!!

@Noni Moss: Thanks babe

@ Uzo: Thanks… I’m extremely happy… there’s a few things not going right… but so much more going great

@ Zaiprincesa: It is absolutely gorgeous… I had the best time ever… if my blog wasn’t meant to be anonymous… I’d put up so many pictures we took there… we had a blast you should definitely visit if you have the chance

@Confessions: TIM HORTONS IS THE SHIT!!! I can’t believe yall don’t have it down in the uk.. missing out!!

@NaijaBloke, Adahope & Biodun: Thanks Thanks Thanks

@Beautifully Human: lol... yes oh.. and don’t forget to add British

ms. may said...

CONGRATS!!! I just got US permanent residency a few months ago and don't know if I'll apply for US Citizenship....I don't wanna give up my others. I know no one can really take away the Naija in me but....guess I'll cross the bridge when I get there. Have a great rest of the week....and Tony is from Edo State.

Onya Baquebeich said...

Should you then be "Overwhelmed CANADIAN Babe"
whats that all abuut?
i hear thats how u canadians speak... u kinda discard the "au" sounding phonetics from your language. How abuut you clarify that? congratulations.

Belle said...

Congrats girl on becoming a citizen! My cousin just got her residency, and she's thrilled... so i can imagine your joy.

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

a celebration me thinks. Congradulations my dear. Thoroughly loving it I hope.

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

@ms. May: oh whao.. congrats my dear… US citizenship no bad @ all… e no reach Canadian... but e no too bad… lol.. oh whao.. Edo? I’d never have guessed that

@Ai’hammed: Thanks oh… lmao@Overwhelmed Canadian Babe… it just doesn’t have the same ring to it does it? Hehe… una too dey stereotype us Canadians oh… u no read the small poem I insert … We pronounce it ‘about’ not ‘a boot’… I mean the only people that sort of talk without the ‘au’ stuff are more Nova Scotians and Newfoundlanders who don’t really matter in the first place… lol. The CANADIAN ACCENT IS THE SEXIEST IN THE WORLD!!! But thanks sha my dear

@Belle: Thanks… Citizenship is just the shit… but now I gotta be on the lookout for people who wanna marry me for papers… lmao

@The Life of a Stranger: Thanks babe… hell yeah… I’m going to the states to buy designer purses the first chance I get!!!

Nneka's World said...

congrats on your citizenship my dear!

LondonBuki said...

Congratulations! And yes, marry the highest bidder! LOL!!! Just kidding oh!

Anonymous said...

http://www.canadianaconnection.net/beer.html#

I love that commercial to pieces!! Congrats on being Canadian, now you can legally use EH in your sentences :)

Eduardo Osorio said...

I'm not Canadian neither American... I'm Colombian! Congratulations.